Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Halong Bay - Worth it?

• crazylegs

Joined Travelfish
    16th May, 2013

Hey,

A friend and I are travelling around Vietnam and Cambodia for a month In July / August (I know that's not ideal in terms of time but its all we could do) I have been reading lots and have already posted and had some wonderful advice regarding my itinerary but having read more I'm wondering if I'd be better going somewhere else and missing out Halong Bay?

From what I've read Halong City is a bit of a mess and I'm not a big fan of grotty touristy places but is it worth the dirty water and rip off merchants to see the bay? I'm travelling in wet season and I'm just not sure what to do for the best? What about going to Sapa?

OR should I just save my sea side time for Cambodia or even around Hoi An?

Sorry for the million questions and thanks in advance

#1 Posted: 21/5/2013 - 05:52

• Advertisement

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

The bay is nice but yes is fairly polluted, highly touristy and imo overrated.

I missed out on Sapa so not sure how it really compares.

My opinion on Halong Bay is if you haven't seen limestone karsts anywhere else and don't plan to see them then it is probably worth seeing. Or if you really want to sleep overnight on a junk boat then it is probably the only place you can do that.

Other places you can see limestone karsts include

Phong Nha-ke Bang national park by Dong Hoi in Vietnam, Paradise cave here is awesome as well.
    Vang Vieng in Laos, I know there are karsts here but I didn't see them as I missed Vang Vieng due to sickness
    Khao Sok National Park in Thailand, best karst scenery imo as the lake and jungle setting are beautiful
    Phangnga bay and Krabi area in Thailand, didn't see but know they exist here as well

#2 Posted: 21/5/2013 - 09:10

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

The key is deciding where your interests lay?

I couldn't care less about Karst Scenery, so the place holds zero interest for me. I'm not much of a nature guy. But if you are - well I'm sure you've seen the pics - might be a place you'd want to hit up. So nobody can really answer this for you, because only you know how interesting this kind of thing would be for you.

#3 Posted: 21/5/2013 - 09:25

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

If it is a straight choice between Sapa and HB, then, as a Vietnam experience, Sapa wins hands down and I would choose it - while touristy, there is great food at the market, scenic treks, homestays and much more to see and do in the area.

By the same token, you don't want to short change Hoi An , especially if you plan on geting suits made up. In terms of ranking and if you are tight on time I would put Hanoi , Sapa and Hoi An all ahead of HB.

HB is nice, and if you have the time then I'd say do it. I think it would be a bit of a waste in bad weather though as the scenery would be seriously compromised - first thing on a bright sunny morning the views on the bay are splendid.

The best way to visit HB is on a trip from Hanoi (typically one or two nights) so, based on my experience, there is no need to go near Halong City.

As with most things in Vietnam, choose your operator carefully if you visit HB, as there have been some horror stories concerning boats breaking up on the water.

#4 Posted: 21/5/2013 - 09:50

• tuntravel48

Joined Travelfish
    20th May, 2013
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

Actually, when you first step in Ha Long Bay , you will feel a little bit disappointing, the sea water is dirty, no tourist can swim... But, If you spend a night in a cruise, it's a totally different story - clean blue water, nature and beauty limestone, you can visit the floating fishing village, do kayaking, see the dawn from the deck....buddy, It's totally a nice experience (2 days one night is enough) In terms of grotty, the grotty in the middle of country (Phong Nha - Ke Bang) is much more beauty than Ha Long Bay. To head Sapa, you need more time than to Ha Long as the above guys already describe Sapa, It's worth to Visit too. So carefully consider to make the choose. But neither you take Ha Long Bay or Sapa, it totally the worth trip!
    If you have any questions, feel free to ask :)

Good choice, and enjoy your trip!

Tuntravel

#5 Posted: 23/5/2013 - 23:27

• brambora

Click here to learn more about brambora
    Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2009
    Location Czech Republic
    Total reviews: 7

Ha Long Bay and Sapa are both well worth visiting. If I had to choose (having been to both just a couple of weeks ago), I'd say Sapa has more to offer. The scenery there is just amazing,with the mountains and the rice fields. Do a trek to a village with one of the village ladies that come to town every morning, have lunch at their house, rent a scooter and ride around, even the town is nice to just relax and have coffee. Ha Long Bay is not THAT spectacular, though I think it all comes down to the people you are with. I'd say definitely go to Cat Ba Island if you go to the bay. It is beautiful there, catch a sunset from the top of a mountain, go rockclimbing and kayaking, and you will have loads of fun. The tourist boat trip is actually really nice, the boats are totally quite, so you just ride along on the water, watching the beautiful karsts.. Like someone already said, you may have seen similar scenery in other places. I have as well, but I'm really glad I went, it was a great trip. Sapa stole my heart though!

#6 Posted: 14/6/2013 - 13:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
One-cent worth opinion on Halong Bay tour ... By 29lovelyme on 22 Dec 2009 1 2423 22 Dec 2009