Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Motorcycling Safety In Viet Nam

• queenzelda

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007

Hi Guys

I ride bikes in Australia, but after watching a number of friends loose limbs/fracture skulls I'm now a total safety pedant.

How easy is it hire helmets in Viet Nam?(I'm specifically thinking of Phu Quoc, but general info would be great) or is it a case of BYO?

Any other riding info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 3/7/2007 - 09:08

• Advertisement

• Red

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2006

Hi queenzelda,
    We hired motorbikes in Hue and Hoi-Ann, we got helmets with the bikes in Hue, but didn't feel we needed them in Hoi-Ann as we headed out of town where is wasn't as busy.Not sure of Phu Quoc.But I'm sure they will have one if you ask.
    Good Luck

#2 Posted: 3/7/2007 - 10:55

• carmen75

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

it's a totally different world. in the cities the traffic moves pretty slowly, and so there are mainly only small 'bingle's'. most of the helmets you get with hired bikes are old, and you don't know their history. why not just buy one when you get to vietnam. they're readily available, and then your protection will be assured (well as assured as it can be anyway!)

ut motorcycling is a GREAT way to see the country

#3 Posted: 3/7/2007 - 17:15

• queenzelda

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007

Cheers guys

#4 Posted: 3/7/2007 - 19:28

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Most Foreigners renting a motorcycle in VietNam are illegal.

The legislation allows that unlicenced Foreigners may drive motorcycles with an engine capacity not exceeding 70cc.

Most motorcycles are over 100cc. Most are not insured!

As from 2008 JAN 01 helmets MUST be worn or suffer monetary loss to a cop. Bribes start at VND100,000 for Vietnamese; for Foreigners the sky is the limit. Remember that police have the legal authority to seize and impound vehicles.

#5 Posted: 4/7/2007 - 03:04

• peterANDsha-
    ron

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

We've hired many bikes before and have only been offered a helmet once. This was in Da Nang.
    Apparently helmets are to be worn by law, but I it's widely ignored! I have seen several "minor' bingles and 2 serious bingles. Our friends who live there all wear helmets so I guess it's up to you!
    I have paid US$4 per day, 50,000VND a day as well as 15,000VND per hour for hire of a bike. Petrol (xang) is 15000VND per litre from vendors on the side of the road. You will see small bottles often sitting on a brick out the front of most shops/stalls. The petrol/gas stations are a bit cheaper but not as common to find! I also suggest topping up the tank when you 1st rent a bike as it guaranteed to be near empty!

we have posted some of our pics online:

http://peternsharon.gallery.netspace.net.au/VIETNAM-JUNE-2007

http://peternsharon.gallery.netspace.net.au/Holiday-April-May-2006-VIETNAM

http://peternsharon.customer.netspace.net.au/

#6 Posted: 4/7/2007 - 12:33

• queenzelda

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007

You'd have to be crazy not to wear one surely?

Are international licences valid? I am licensed to ride any capacity motorcycle in Australia.

#7 Posted: 4/7/2007 - 13:01

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

One of the requirements of obtaining a Vietnamese driving licence is the ability to understand and converse in the Vietnamese language.

I guess this makes it easier for the police to demand their bribes.

#8 Posted: 4/7/2007 - 16:45

• peterANDsha-
    ron

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

i agree with CatBa post#8. Knowing how to read & asking for directions helps. I got lost in Nha Trang back streets recently nad luckily i could read enough to VN to get my way back.

#9 Posted: 4/7/2007 - 17:09

• biahoi

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2007

"Remember that police have the legal authority to seize and impound vehicles."

Are they really confiscated motos from foreigners?

#10 Posted: 4/7/2007 - 18:04

• Advertisement

• biahoi

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2007

"Remember that police have the legal authority to seize and impound vehicles."

Are they really confiscated motos from foreigners?

#11 Posted: 4/7/2007 - 18:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.