Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Owning a motobike in Vietnam?

• biahoi

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2007

What are rules nowadays if a foreigner want to buy a motobike in Vietnam? Is a permit of permanent residence or a working permit necessary documents? I have planned to stay in VN over one year so I´d like to buy a moto.

#1 Posted: 4/7/2007 - 18:14

• Advertisement

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

The easiest way is to get a VN citizen to register your motorcycle in their name. This way they can have proper insurance that covers you, too.

You can have a side agreement that says you are the legal owner of your machine.

#2 Posted: 5/7/2007 - 03:49

• biahoi

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2007

What is that side agreement? A free form contract? Is it true that person who has a register document can sell a bike freely?

#3 Posted: 5/7/2007 - 05:01

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

Just a simple letter saying you actually own the bike, signed by registrant friend, motorbike.

Maybe you want to give it to the registrant when you leave as a thank you.

#4 Posted: 5/7/2007 - 10:09

• biahoi

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2007

"Maybe you want to give it to the registrant when you leave as a thank you."

If this person is my friend that is natural.

I just think if situation is different and I buy a valuable motobike and the "real owner" thinks he/she can make some extra money and sell it behind my back. No very funny position from my point of view...

#5 Posted: 5/7/2007 - 16:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.