Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Owning a motobike in Vietnam?

Posted by biahoi on 4/7/2007 at 18:14

What are rules nowadays if a foreigner want to buy a motobike in Vietnam? Is a permit of permanent residence or a working permit necessary documents? I have planned to stay in VN over one year so I´d like to buy a moto.

#1 biahoi has been a member since 4/7/2007. Posts: 8

Posted by CatBa on 5/7/2007 at 03:49

Posted from within Vietnam.

The easiest way is to get a VN citizen to register your motorcycle in their name. This way they can have proper insurance that covers you, too.

You can have a side agreement that says you are the legal owner of your machine.

#2 CatBa has been a member since 5/3/2007. Posts: 349

Posted by biahoi on 5/7/2007 at 05:01

What is that side agreement? A free form contract? Is it true that person who has a register document can sell a bike freely?

#3 biahoi has been a member since 4/7/2007. Posts: 8

Posted by CatBa on 5/7/2007 at 10:09

Posted from within Vietnam.

Just a simple letter saying you actually own the bike, signed by registrant friend, motorbike.

Maybe you want to give it to the registrant when you leave as a thank you.

#4 CatBa has been a member since 5/3/2007. Posts: 349

Posted by biahoi on 5/7/2007 at 16:23

"Maybe you want to give it to the registrant when you leave as a thank you."

If this person is my friend that is natural.

I just think if situation is different and I buy a valuable motobike and the "real owner" thinks he/she can make some extra money and sell it behind my back. No very funny position from my point of view...

#5 biahoi has been a member since 4/7/2007. Posts: 8

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.