Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Permanent residency in VN?

• biahoi

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2007

If someone likes to live in VN for longer period, how he/she can get a permit of permanent resident?

#1 Posted: 4/7/2007 - 19:14

• Advertisement

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

The easiest way is to get a business visa and just keep on extending until they say no.

Then take a trip out of country and get a new visa. The owner of Jungle Village Resort, who is married to a VN woman, did this for 10 years.

Otherwise you can try to get sponsored by an employer, get a clean police report from your home country and apply for a work permit.

#2 Posted: 5/7/2007 - 03:46

• biahoi

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2007

Ok, sounds little complicated but maybe only choice for me because I will not come to work. Is it true that 6 month visa extension can only be made in HCMC or Hanoi? Last trip I tried to renew my visa in Nha Trang for three months and they told that they have to send my passport to HCMC. I took only one month at a time instead.

#3 Posted: 5/7/2007 - 05:13

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

BUSINESS VISAS can ONLY be processed in Da Nang, Ha Noi and HCMC. Tourist visas can be extended in most provincial capitals where there is an immigration office.

YOU cannot get an extension yourself rather they appoint one or two travel agents in small centres who take your passport to get it stamped, and pay the bribe, and return it in a couple of days.

My man, in HCMC, is Joe Phan who is reliable and seemingly never fails to get that extension.

#4 Posted: 5/7/2007 - 10:16

• biahoi

Joined Travelfish
    4th July, 2007

Where from I can find this Joe Phan?

I tried to get visa extension by my own in HCMC in the immigration police but they refused and advised me to use a travel agent. I found out that there are a lot of variations in visa fees between agencies so reliable visa extension office is valuable if you need it regularly.

#5 Posted: 5/7/2007 - 16:14

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Now you know why you were refused. - they don't want you to know it takes a bribe.

Joe is in HCMC. His hand telephone number is 090-370-5127. I don't have his office number (at 2A Nguyen Hue Street) as he moved after the last land line number I have.

The varying rates are an indication of the amount of bribe being paid. You are wanting to bend the rules to prolong your stay in VN without going by the rules so you must expect it to cost a little.

#6 Posted: 5/7/2007 - 16:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.