Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Vietnam - Visa On Arrival Photo Requirements - help please

• kjsuf1

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2013

Hi there,

I am about to go to Vietnam in 6 sleeps (bit excited).
    I am using the Visa on Arrival service and have just noticed that it asks for a 4 cm x 6 cm passport photo. I have obtained regular Australian Passport sized photos which are considerably smaller than 4 x 6 cm and do not show shoulders.
    I am arranging the visas for four people one of which obtained the correct size and now im stuck trying to decide if myself and the other two travellers should go and pay to have more pics taken at 4cm x 6cm size.

Does anyone know if the VOA desk in Ho Chi Minh city is fussy about the photo size? Some websites say 'standard passport photo' however the form clearly says 4cm x 6cm which is much larger than the regular Australian Passport sized photo.

Any help or personal experience stories would be appreciated. I also have been informed that you can have your photo taken at the airport however I have a connecting flight within 2.5 hours of arriving so would prefer to avoid this.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 16/6/2013 - 07:33

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Honestly, I just don't think they're all that picky about those photos in Vietnam - I never saw any being refused, and I've done VOA 5 times. It often says 2 photos, but they only ask for 1 at the VOA desk. Hanoi is far more efficient than HCMC. Be sure to download and complete the "Form on Arrival" so you can go to the head of that line - just do a search or ask your VOA provider.

Even if you arrive with no photos, they just take your picture on the spot!

#2 Posted: 16/6/2013 - 11:58

• kjsuf1

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2013

Thanks very much daawgon !

I thought I was going to be processing the VOA in Hanoi as my flight is to Hanoi. However I was later told by the airline that it included a two hour stop over in HCM - I made some inquiries with the VOA agent and they informed me that i would need to get my VOA from HCM before taking the domestic flight to HAnoi. (It seemed a bit unusual since its an international flight - but I do understand if they process it that way)

So I now have only 2.5 hours between arriving in HCM and departing to Hanoi and I'm quite stressed reading stories that the VOA process can take up to 2 hours or more at HCM.

I'm just crossing my fingers at this point and hoping for the best. Worst case scenario we lose one night accomodation at Hanoi and stay another night at HCM city.

Thanks for the advice though. Any other tips are welcome!

#3 Posted: 17/6/2013 - 20:30

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

That flight between HCMC and Hanoi is a domestic flight, and you also need to change terminals (International to Domestic) in Saigon (just a short walk across the parking lot).

You might want to check with other Aussies who frequent VN about those photos - hundreds of them on Tripadvisor VN

#4 Posted: 17/6/2013 - 23:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Size of Photo for Visa On Arrival in Cambodia?? ... By sharoonie on 1 Nov 2011 2 10261 2 Nov 2011
Visa requirements for Cambodia and Vietnam ... By NYTim on 20 Jul 2010 3 2219 26 Jul 2010
Vietnam Visa - photo ... By FlashWanderer on 22 Feb 2010 7 2557 24 Feb 2010
Quick Question: Do you get a full page visa upon entering Vietnam (Visa on Arrival in AP) ... By Sethlake on 22 Dec 2010 3 4008 6 Jun 2011
vietnam visa on arrival ? ... By mrasia on 26 Oct 2006 3 8140 25 May 2011
No problems with Vietnam Visa on Arrival ... By DLuek on 17 Feb 2009 4 8631 3 Jul 2010
On arrival visa to Vietnam for Uganda ... By annajulianna90 on 5 Dec 2013 0 619 5 Dec 2013
Vietnam - Visa on arrival - does it work? ... By sprengja on 13 Nov 2008 1 6465 14 Nov 2008
Vietnam e-Visa/ Visa on Arrival ... By tayls on 16 Apr 2009 17 21101 6 Aug 2010
Vietnam Visa on arrival for Indian passport holders ... By jayanraj on 10 Nov 2009 2 7839 10 Nov 2009