Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Hue to Hanoi - train or plane?

• dav2205

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2013

I'm due to travel from Hue to Hanoi as part of a trip to Vietnam in October (a whirlwind 2 week tour of the country!). Pricing things up it seems to only be a few pounds difference between plane and train so was just looking for some recommendations from more seasoned Vietnam travellers. Options are -

Overnight train from Hue to Hanoi ~£35 from what I can see on Seat61

Stay another night in Hue, catch the early train to Danang and fly from there to Hanoi on an early afternoon flight. Plan would be get 8am train to Danang, arriving at 10:30 and getting the 13:15 flight to Hanoi. Total price for all this would be just over £40 (£35 for the flight, £2-3 for the train and £6ish for the hotel which has been split between me and other travellers)

The flight would mean us arriving in Hanoi a few hours later, but I think we'd be better rested overall rather than taking the train. Any help is much appreciated.

#1 Posted: 8/7/2013 - 07:50

• Advertisement

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

If you like scenery and caves then take the train from Hue to Dong Hoi. Check out paradise cave then take train the rest of the way to Hanoi.

If you feel you don't have time or aren't interested then as you have already mentioned it pretty much comes down to preference. Sleeper trains aren't too bad and you should be able to get a half decent sleep as long as you can sleep through a little bit of noise.

One other thing to remember in particular when flying is the taxi cost. Hanoi's airport is a ways out of town, Danang's is close to train station though.

#2 Posted: 9/7/2013 - 00:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
travel between Hanoi and Hoi An, train or plane ... By AWUQ on 5 Jan 2012 10 11093 19 Jan 2012
Plane or Train? ... By Carrelas on 2 Jun 2010 4 1468 11 Jun 2010
Chiang Mai to Laos train or plane? ... By TommyKay on 12 Jan 2012 18 24995 3 Sep 2014
best way to go from surat thani to malaysia? train/bus or plane ... By matimulinaris on 22 Aug 2009 2 9865 23 Aug 2009