Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Halong Bay/Sapa

• arenalk

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2013

Hi

My trip around SE Asia started and ends in Hanoi . I decided before that I would save Sapa and Halong Bay for the end of the trip. Now I just need to figure out the logistics. My flight from Luang Prabang arrives in Hanoi at 6pm, allowing me to arrive in Hanoi at best 8pm (there are no earlier flights). I am planning on doing a 2 day/1 night trip to Halong Bay. Will it be possible for me to book at trip that evening around 9pm for the next day? My budget is $100 as a single traveler and have only found one tour for that price online. I know there are better priced tours that you can buy on the street in Hanoi. Also, I am planning on going directly from my Halong Bay trip to the overnight train to Sapa. Since tours arrive back at roughly 4-5pm and trains leave between 8-10pm I think I should be fine - thoughts? Thanks!

#1 Posted: 14/7/2013 - 02:08

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

It is possible that you will be able to book something when you arrive - depending on what time of year you are here - but you won't have much opportunity to shop around so are likely to end up booking through your hotel which could be restrictive in terms of choice / quality. Do you know what hotel you are staying at? You could contact them in advance to see what options they have. Or try someone like Lai at True Colour Tour.

Regarding the train to Sapa - should be fine. There are sometimes delays back from Halong, due to traffic, but unless you're travelling at a particularly busy time of year (like around a holiday) or get really unlucky and hit an accident, you will have plenty of time. How are you booking your Sap a train though? You need to book in advance.

#2 Posted: 16/7/2013 - 20:51

• arenalk

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2013

Thanks for the response.

I head back to Hanoi in about a week so pretty soon! After thinking about it some more, I decided that I'm going to do Sapa first and then Halong Bay. That way I'll have a day in Hanoi before I leave for Sapa allowing for me to do some research/look at a few places before I go and I can buy the tour about 4 days ahead of time. I'm hoping that transfer from train coming from Sapa to tour pickup will be easy. I'll get one with a 4am arrival time and hope for the best.
    On another note, do you have any suggestions for what online company is best for buying tickets to Sapa? thanks for your help!

#3 Posted: 17/7/2013 - 06:39

• emilyross

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2013

Posted from within Vietnam.

Because you are single traveller with budget of $100, you can contact with some travel agent or directly with cruises company to ask them about sharing cabin if available. By doing that you can save amount of money for your trip. Besides, you can also looking for special discount vouchers on booking online websites.

I don't know what online company is the best for buying tickets to Sapa, but I just know that you need to pay around $60-$80 per person for return on deluxe wooden 4 berths cabin. Hope these information will be useful.

#4 Posted: 27/7/2013 - 03:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.