Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Cell Phone Use in Vietnam & general safety

• Picasso

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2013

My daughter is travelling to Vietnam soon for 3 months with a world wide youth group. I ordered a sim card online for her that will 'supposedly' soon get here (Canada). They promote these sim cards by saying "get it before you go so your friends and family will have your number etc...before you leave". It was $50 or so with special speedy delivery. Website www.simcardsasia.com Then I forgot about it until I received an email that stated: Vietnamese law requires all sim cards to be registered with customer ID so scan the photo page of your passport and send it back so we can register the sim card on the Viettel network" My scam alert went off immediately and now I'm pretty sure I'm out that $50.
    I think I will advise her to buy a local phone instead and take the advise of her group leader once she is there.
    Any advice on cell phone use in Vietnam & safety issues in general? I'm a bit worried for her.

#1 Posted: 25/7/2013 - 08:05

• Advertisement

• oasisbarhat-
    ien

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2010
    Total reviews: 4

Posted from within Vietnam.

Well,it's completely untrue that SIM cards have to be registered here in Vietnam.Anyone can buy them,no need to provide any ID at all-certainly don't send your passport details as asked.They can be bought easily and cheaply,and to call back home is actually pretty cheap.If the phone that she already has cannot accept a Vietnamese SIM card,-maybe because it's locked to a particular network,then just buy a cheap Nokia phone locally (about 30USD) and use the SIM card in that.I hope you haven't been scammed,but I won't hold my breath!!

#2 Posted: 25/7/2013 - 10:05

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi there,

I'm sorry to say I agree with the Oasisbarhatien - I'm afraid you're out $50. If you paid with a credit card, contact your card provider and tell them you never received the goods, so they'll charge back to the supplier and you'll get a refund.

Check if her phone needs to be unlocked before she goes (I don't know what the rules are in Canada, but here in England some network providers will do it for free in their shops if you've been a customer for more than a year or so. Otherwise, any phone shop can unlock her phone for a small fee). Or, as said above, she can pick up a cheap basic phone easily in Vietnam.

Once she's in Vietnam, she'll see plenty of shops selling sim cards (certainly in any tourist areas) - she'll be able to pick up a local pay as you go sim card for only a few dollars, including some airtime to get her started. The shop will probably install and activate it for her on the spot (so she doesn't have to figure out how to access the English menu) - 2 minutes and she's good to go. It really is that simple (and there's no need to register).

Vietnam is very rewarding and broadly very safe - a few scams (well documented on this site) but very little violent crime on tourists, so as long as she's sensible and follows the advice of the group leader, she'll be fine. Hope she has a wonderful trip!
    Antonia

#3 Posted: 26/7/2013 - 01:51

• thaoan

Joined Travelfish
    28th July, 2013

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi!

I quire sure that very easy to get Vietnam Sim Card everywhere. Just need a little help from staff in hotel she will stay. They happy to assistance her where can get it and help her how to do next. Totally take a few moment, no need to show any further information. it costs 65.000vnd (3$-4$). It will be wasted if you get a cheap Nokia phone locally - NOKIA (450.000vnd = 25$) for short time using. I think that! -:). Just let her know she will get a lot of helpful information from hotel she will stay.

Hope she will enjoy during her trip.

Nice day!

#4 Posted: 28/7/2013 - 09:58

• Night_exile

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2013

I am local here and I never has to register anything when I buy Sim card. I just need to tell the owner of the store that "I want a sim card with price: 50,000VND" and they will give me without asking anything more.

#5 Posted: 7/8/2013 - 23:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Cell Phone Help (Thai, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia, Laos) ... By jeffneil on 25 Apr 2009 10 12325 20 Dec 2012
cell phone ... By greenman42 on 17 Dec 2009 5 2551 3 Jan 2011
Cell Phone Pay As You Go ... By Geer1 on 20 Sep 2012 1 3154 20 Sep 2012
Possible to buy cell phone? ... By lilobodo on 29 Mar 2011 4 3282 1 Apr 2011
can you have a cell phone in burma ? ... By ilikrshortsongs on 31 Jan 2010 4 3434 6 Aug 2011
entering with a cell phone... risky? ... By think87 on 3 Aug 2011 5 2010 6 Aug 2011
Cell Phone - buying in Thailand... Use it all over SEA? ... By jBird on 16 Jan 2009 7 4063 24 Jan 2009
cell phone unlock and reset ... By yolobkk on 11 Dec 2013 1 559 12 Dec 2013
Cell phone during 4.5 month trip through SE Asia, East China, Japan ... By Lamar on 23 Dec 2007 2 3170 27 Dec 2007
Safety of Thailand and Asia in general ... By keatonec on 3 Mar 2010 8 2050 3 Mar 2010