Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

16 days itinerary advice - including trip questions

Posted by Jaimyvandijke on 26/7/2013 at 03:14

Hello,

Together with another friend I will be going to Vietnam for the first time, even though I have traveled quite a lot in (South East)Asia. I have come up with an itinerary and would love to get some feedback on it. I also have a few questions.

20/08 - Arrival in Hanoi around 8 p.m.
21/08 - Hanoi (book the Halong Bay at Indochina Junk or Halong Fantasea Cruise 3 days - 2 nights) Question: are these cruises good? Can we book then in Hanoi or shall we do this already online?
22/08 - Halong Bay
23/08 - Halong Bay
24/08 - Halong Bay
25/08 - Hanoi - Sapa by train evening 10 p.m.to morning (or can we do this the day before?)
26/08 - Early morning arrive in Sapa
27/08 - Sapa - leave 8.45 pm to Hanoi
28/08 - Arrive Hanoi and afternoon flight to Hoi An
29/08 - Hoi An
30/08 - Hoi An
31/08 - Easy Riders (http://easyrider-hoian.com with Mr.Thong) or other suggestions? Booking in advance? We will do the 4 day one way trip to Dong Hoi including Hue and Phong Nha-KeNational Park
01/09 - Easy Riders
02/09 - Easy Riders
03/09 - Easy Riders - this will end in Dong Hoi
04/09 - Dong Hoi to Hanoi evening
05/09 - Early Morning arrival in Hanoi
06/09 - Hanoi
07/09 - Flighyt home at 12.55

Thank you so much already!

#1 Jaimyvandijke has been a member since 26/7/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by captainbkk on 27/7/2013 at 04:18

Well-IF you have indeed travelled that much and had your experinece, that you would already know that advance online booking is totally unneeded-at the spot you will have much more chocie and lower prices and more certainty that people are there and any desired trips wil actually run-or not-if the wheather is bad or wahtever nature can spoil.check times D.hoi-Han, I think this will need more time.

#2 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Posted by Jaimyvandijke on 27/7/2013 at 17:20

Yes well I have lived in India and travelled in India, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Cambodia. I just want to make sure that it is the same in Vietnam. especially with Easy Riders, I havent done something like that. I thought maybe they could be fully booked or something.
I think its ways exciting to go to a new country and I like to be prepared, so thanks a lot.

How many days would you advice in Hoi An? What would you advice to do there and where should we cut a day?

t

#3 Jaimyvandijke has been a member since 26/7/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by busylizzy on 27/7/2013 at 19:43

Don't worry about CaptBkk. He has a big chip on his shoulder about something and likes to give a hard time to all new posters asking for help.

You will find an abundance of Easy Riders around the place - they wander around in their blue jackets. Although to be fair, I don't recall seeing them so much in Hoi An - but they were everywhere in Dalat. But I know that there is a Hoi An chapter so they'll be around. No need to book in advance. It's best to actually meet with the guides first anyhow - have a chat and see how you feel about them. Not only are you going to be spending a few days with them around the clock, your life is in their hands on some of the craziest roads in SEA. If it doesn't feel right with the first driver you see, find another one. There are many 'fake' ÉR's around the place. That's not necessarily a bad thing - they could be quite decent guys, However the legit ER's do have a çode that they are supposed to follow or they get kicked out - which includes no drinking, etc. I did see some other drivers getting utterly smashed with their clients in the evenings. I wouldn't want to be the one of the back of their bike the next day with a driver who is either still drunk or is only operating at 50% due to a sever hangover,

I did a 9-day trip (Dalat to Mekong) and it was probably the best 9 days out of a 6 month trip. Very rewarding, fun and exhilarating,

#4 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by violets on 29/7/2013 at 02:26

You don't seem to have enough time in Hanoi. It is really worth giving it more time. Hoi An to Dong Hoi seems an odd trip. They usually go through Kon Tum, Pleiku, Buon Ma Thuot to Dalat, though that would take 5 days probably. I'd check with them.

#5 violets has been a member since 6/7/2009. Posts: 151

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.