Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

How to get from Ha Giang to Guilin (Yangshuo)?

• trekker

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2013

Hi,
    I wanna end my 3 weeks in Vietnam in Ha Giang, and then go to Yangshuo (Guilin) for another 3 days backpacking.

How could I get from Ha Giang to Yangshuo?

Is there a train that goes this way?

Thanks a lot :-)

#1 Posted: 11/8/2013 - 06:29

• Advertisement

• Want2BHappy

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2013

No trains anywhere near Ha Giang. You'd have to go back to Hanoi to get a train for Nanning...

From Ha Giang, by bus, I believe the nearest crossing is Dong Dang - there may be closer crossings for local residents, but I don't think foreigners can get through. From Dong Dang, you can pick up the train as above. Not sure what is the best bus route from HG to DD. Possibly via Cao Bang...

I'd ask locally in Ha Giang.

#2 Posted: 11/8/2013 - 16:17

• trekker

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2013

Hi Thanks!

I need to get from Ha Giang to Dong Dang, by bus?
    Do you know if it's one bus?

Then to take the train from Dong Dang to Nanning?
    Is is the same train that depart from Hanoi?

How do you get then from Nanning to Yangshuo?

Thank a lot :)

By the way, how long would you estimate this route takes?

I wonder if I should pick closer location, but one that won't take me farther from Hong Kong, where I eventually depart from.

#3 Posted: 12/8/2013 - 15:17

• Want2BHappy

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2013

--- I need to get from Ha Giang to Dong Dang, by bus?

Or go back to Hanoi and get the train/bus to China from there...
    --- Do you know if it's one bus?

No idea, but I doubt it. I would ask locally in Ha Giang. I expect you would need to go via Cao Bang (about 260 km from Ha Giang). If it's via somewhere else, it might be just as easy/quick to go back to Hanoi.

--- Then to take the train from Dong Dang to Nanning?

Or bus.
    --- Is is the same train that depart from Hanoi?
    Yes

--- How do you get then from Nanning to Yangshuo?
    That's China - a closed book to me. All I've ever done recently is take a train from Hong Kong to Hanoi.

--- By the way, how long would you estimate this route takes?
    If it's a bus to Cao Bang, that's about 260km with lots of stunning scenery, but it won't be fast (or if it is, it'll be scary :-) ) and another 110km or so to Dong Dang. Start early enough and it might be doable in a day.....
    -- I wonder if I should pick closer location, but one that won't take me farther from Hong Kong, where I eventually depart from.

What are you doing in Ha Giang and how are you getting there? If you're starting to explore from there after getting a bus up from Hanoi, you could do much the same thing by getting a bus to Cao Bang and setting out to explore from there instead. You would still be able to see the same places, but would be much closer to the border when it's time to leave....

#4 Posted: 12/8/2013 - 16:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
How to get from Ha Giang (North Vietnam) to Yangshuo (Guilin)? ... By trekker on 11 Aug 2013 1 978 15 Aug 2013