Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Seeking Travel Info/Advice on NW/North Vietnam Trip

• Rango

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2013

I am planning my 8th trip to Vietnam for 3 months starting in January 2014. After spending 5 days during Tet in Hanoi , I plan to travel extensively around Northwest/North Vietnam for 4-6 weeks. Below is a rough sketch of my plans. I am mostly interested in getting current/updated information on public bus routes/schedules and accommodations. Any suggestions on "must-see" places/stops is also welcomed.

At first I was thinking I would fly to Dien Bien Phu (DBP) and start my northern trip from there and I may still do that. But I've also studied the possibility of taking public buses to DBP from Hanoi so I can see the countryside. First to Mai Chau (or maybe Hoa Binh if possible) and stay 1-2 nights and then to Son La and stay 1-2 nights and then on to DBP. I'm not a young guy anymore and very long bus rides wear me out but 3-5 hours on a bus, even a not-so-new one, can be ok. I received some info from my hotel in Hanoi on this portion of the trip and it sounds possible to me by bus but I still need to know more about the buses (bus stations, tickets, etc) and places to stay in Mai Chau and Son La (and possibly Hoa Binh).

I plan to stay 2-3 days in DBP. From DBP, I plan to continue by bus on to Sapa with a 1-2 night stop in Lai Chau. I've been to Sapa before so I probably would only stay 2-3 days so I can try to locate some people I met before. From Sapa, on to Ha Giang (maybe with a 1 night stop in Lao Cai) where I probably want to stay 6-8 days.

From Ha Giang, it would be on to Cao Bang. I don't know know much about Cao Bang right now, but I guess I would stay 2-3 days here to look around and just rest. Then on to Lang Son for 2-3 days. Then one option is to return to Hanoi, with a possible 1-2 night stay in Thai Nguyen. Or if possible, I might head to Hai Lang-Cam Son-Halong Bay directly from Lang Son. I have been to Halong Bay before but definitely could go back for 2-5 days with some time on Cat Ba. From Halong Bay, it definitely would be back to Hanoi for 2-3 days rest before I head to Ninh Binh and on south.

Time is not an issue, I can easily commit 4 weeks...even 5 and maybe 6 weeks if need to...to do this route. But cost is the limiting factor since I am retired now and on a budget. And I will be traveling alone so I cannot share costs. Because I will be traveling for so long...3 months, I am planning to spend no more than US$100 each day...obviously some days I will spend more and some days I will spend less...but this would be my average for each day. As for hotels/places to stay, I don't need anything fancy but I do prefer my own room and shower/bath.

In advance, thanks for any information provided.

#1 Posted: 12/8/2013 - 08:28

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Seeking info about overland travel from Phuket to Malaysia ... By HKDjaw on 28 Jan 2007 3 2702 5 Feb 2007
27/F/NYC seeking travel buddies on solo trip to Thailand (+Vietnam/Cambodia/Lao?) July 31-Sept 12 ... By passthatversace on 30 Jun 2012 14 2961 21 Aug 2012
Luang Prabang to Hanoi, need info on bus travel through north east Laos ... By itchyfeet on 10 Nov 2006 4 2890 11 Nov 2006
Vietnam / Thailand itinerary - seeking advice from experienced travellers ... By prankmonkey on 9 Feb 2010 4 2266 12 Feb 2010
North Thailand and Laos Trip Advice ... By 2Bias on 24 Nov 2010 1 1951 25 Nov 2010
Flooding info & travel advice in Phom Penh-Cambodia ... By weaselchops on 15 Oct 2010 2 2729 15 Oct 2010
Vietnam/Cambodia 2013 Trip - My Helpful Tips/Info ... By abs004 on 23 Dec 2013 4 1561 27 Dec 2013
29 female American traveling Cambodia (March) and Vietnam (April) - Seeking travel mates ... By NYCNomad300 on 4 Mar 2013 1 901 6 Apr 2013
North of Vietnam and Con Dao Island: Trip report and useful informations ... By vuh on 21 Aug 2007 0 3005 21 Aug 2007
Seeking Advice: 6 month itinerary ... By Msalkinder on 13 Jun 2012 4 3134 7 Aug 2012