Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Ha Long - Cat Ba DIY

• elchapel

Joined Travelfish
    24th August, 2013

Just been reading the Doing Ha long Bay on your own article and was wondering if anyone has done this recently?
    the article says 80,000D for the one way trip which seems very cheap is this right?
    If anyone has any updates on this it would be appreciated
    Our plan is make our own way from Hanoi to Ha Long City then a day trip to Cat Ba and onto Nam Cat Island
    cheers

elchapel

#1 Posted: 24/8/2013 - 08:36

• Advertisement

• vesmax01

Joined Travelfish
    26th August, 2013

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi there,
    I so glad to share with you some information as follow:
    I don't know article that you read it said anything! However, I was know, with 80,000 vnd you just can buy bus ticket from Hanoi to Ha Long Bay . If you would like tovisit to Ha Long Bay and Cat Ba island, you have to spend more 80,000 vnd.
    From Hanoi,you can buy bus ticket to Ha Long Bay and then buy boat ticket visit Ha LongBay and Cat Ba Island at ferry or hotel.
    I think you should contact to a reputable travel company in Vietnamfor their support, advice you more necessary information for your trip!

Contact (if you need more information)
    Ngan Ha
    Sky: ha_nhatviet
    Email:nganha@fiditour.com

#2 Posted: 28/8/2013 - 03:25

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

If you want to see Cat Ba island the easiest way to get there is to get to the Luong Yen Bus Station and book a bus/boat ticket through Hoang Long. Cost around $10 and is set up pretty well.

Once on Cat Ba there are multiple tour agencies to set up cruise, cruise and kayak, and much more around Lan Ha/Halong Bay.

If you want to see Halong City and do the trip similar to the above link then you can bus to Halong City(not sure best operator, looks like will cost around $5-10 depending on operator). Then take tourist boat to Cat Ba Island. Note that the boat will now be around double the cost stated in the article(should cost around $8 ).

I don't know that Cat Ba island is really worth a day trip though. The actual town is nothing special especially in low season. The highlight of Cat Ba is location near to bay and allowing independent travellers more economic ways to see the bay. I would recommend going straight to Cat Ba and basing out of there for a couple days and then moving on or else just go to Halong City and do a day tour from there.

#3 Posted: 28/8/2013 - 11:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.