Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Places to snorkel in November? In northern half of Vietnam?

• EdwardTrunk

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2013

We're trying to plan our first holiday in Vietnam and would be very grateful for advice on a couple of questions. We were thinking of going this November. We're seeking a sort of 2 /1 mix of cultural and beach holiday. We've got plenty of places in mind for the former - Hanoi and environs, then to Laos for Luang Prabang, then back to Vietnam for Hue and Hoi An and back to Hanoi.

But where in November would be suitable for the beach side of the holiday, which didn't mean travelling any further south? We're seeking snorkelling and quiet beauty - definitely not a loud beach party scene nor luxurious hotels and restaurants.

I had wondered whether beaches near Hoi An, like Cua Dai, might fit the bill - or the Cham Islands. Near Hue, Thu An beach sounded attractive - but can you snorkel there? We saw snorkelling advertised on Cat Ba island, north of Hanoi, but wondered whether November would be too cold so far north.
    I'd be grateful for any comment on which of the above places might be best for what we're looking for - or anywhere else you know which could suit us.

Please say if there's a better month than November for what we're seeking. Vietnam's weather sounds so complicated!
    Many thanks for any advice.

#1 Posted: 7/9/2013 - 13:28

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I ran your question past our correspondent in Hoi An (who is having some trouble getting onto the site) and she said:

"November is the typhoon season on the Central coast and although occasionally it misses us, it's a bit of a gamble - even if you do get to go out visibility can be poor. Phu Quoc would be the best bet. The diving there is far better and so long as you keep off Long Beach you'll find it ticks all your boxes, beautiful beaches, incredible jungle interior to explore on non dive days and some great beach accommodation between the $10-20 a night range. There are also direct flights to the island that if you book early can be very cheap. It might be worth emailing Steve at Blue Coral diving (a Hoi An based dive company that did the season down on Phu Quoc last Winter), he'd be able to advise you on the best sites and what you can expect at that time of the year. "

So, while I realise you had mentioned not wanting to go further south, you will get better weather -- and snorkelling conditions -- on Phu Quoc Island in the far south. I've not tried it, but I'd imagine the waters of Ha Long Bay to be a bit chilly in November!

If you do decide to try Hoi An anyway, here are a few ideas on ways to fill in your time there.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 7/9/2013 - 21:31

• EdwardTrunk

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2013

Thanks very much for the crucial info re typhoons on central coast. We're keen on visiting both Hanoi and Hue, so I'm now considering other months.

#3 Posted: 9/9/2013 - 05:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
The best island to snorkeling and diving on the first half of November. ... By Agee on 24 Oct 2013 6 1551 25 Oct 2013
Northern Thailand - must see places? ... By livethedream86 on 30 Jul 2009 14 6165 31 Jul 2009