Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

8 days in the south with 6-year-old

• Lackadaisi

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2013

We are going to be in Southern Vietnam for eight days in the beginning of January, and I would greatly appreciate itinerary assistance. My husband and I will be traveling with our well-travelled, easy going six-year-old girl. We will have just spent a week in a very chill, quiet Thai beach with Thai relatives, so we are not looking for beach time and we don't need to cater to the child's whim too much. Then again, we want to keep her involved. We generally travel pretty independently and span the gamut of rustic, local to more luxury, but we always prefer more local flavor. I really wanted to get some Mekong Delta time in, and I was wondering how long I should spend there and what else I shouldn't miss. Any and all advice is much welcomed!

Oh, and we plan to return to southeast asia every two to three years so I assume we will do Northern Vietnam another time (probably in warmer weather) and Siem Reep when the child is a little older. Chances are, however, we won't make it back through southern Vietnam for quite some time, if at all, so I want to make sure not to miss things (other than the tunnels, which I think I may skip due to claustrophobia.

#1 Posted: 7/9/2013 - 15:36

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

If you're heading to the Delta, I'd say a trip to Can Tho for it's floating markets would be very interesting and fun for your daughter.

Another option would be to do a homestay in Vinh Long (another Delta town). Friends of mine did one there recently -- you can see their homestay write-up here.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 7/9/2013 - 21:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.