Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Weatherwise, what months for visiting both Hanoi and Hue?

• EdwardTrunk

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2013

During which months would it be good to visit both Hanoi and the area around Hue? We're trying to avoid extreme heat, rain and cold and most definitely the smog from spring crop fires. Are there any months which would suit both these areas?

#1 Posted: 9/9/2013 - 05:33

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

March is my favorite of all - I too dislike extreme heat/humidity, and March is downright beautiful all around

#2 Posted: 9/9/2013 - 12:55

• EdwardTrunk

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2013

But isn't March the time when crop stubble is widely burned in the fields and there's dreadful smog everywhere? I'm sure I read strong warnings about that somewhere. I had ruled out March for that reason. When then does the smoky period come?

I'm getting so confused about Vietnam's weather. We were in in Bangkok then Chiang Mai in north Thailand, further north than Hue , during the last week of March and both places were intensely hot - exactly the sort of heat we're trying to avoid. I had ruled out March for that reason too, since Hue is one of our key aims.

#3 Posted: 9/9/2013 - 15:43

• LolaNguyen

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi, Central Vietnams seasons are very similar to those in the U.K. March to May is our Spring - So March is cooler with a good few heavy showers and the occasional sunny day - the heat is not oppressive and traveling is comfortable. As you head north it'll get colder and wetter. From my experience living in C. Vietnam I'd go for April when there is less chance that you'll get days of rain, the air is fresh and the heat manageable, then head north where it will be colder.
    The crop burning happens after the rice harvest. In Central Vietnam we have three harvests a year. The first harvest is around May - planting takes place normally around Tet so in April the crops are at their most beautiful. I'm not sure about the far north, but as the seasons are different I imagine that there first harvest will be later.

I commute daily between miles of paddy fields and they don't set fire to them all at once, just small areas. I've never been bothered by it at all - there is just not that much smoke. The June/July harvest is probably the worst (as there is less of a breeze), but I really wouldn't be so worried as to book my holiday around them.

#4 Posted: 11/9/2013 - 20:21

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

For Hanoi I'd suggest later in March or in April. I'm not sure on crop burning but you won't be bothered by it in the city anyway.

#5 Posted: 12/9/2013 - 21:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.