Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Vietnam Cracking Down on Illegal Motorcycle Use

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Daawgon just posted this in another thread but I figured it was worth putting in its own thread since it affects quite a few people. Everyone knows the hassle of having to get a Vietnamese license but now it seems like they might be cracking down more on the tourists that choose to ignore the laws. Hopefully as the article states they will figure out an easier way to allow tourists to legally ride motorcycles as it is a nice way to see parts of the country.

http://www.thanhniennews.com/index/pages/20130916-no-more-free-rides.aspx

Anyone over in Vietnam noticing an actual increase in enforcement or is this article largely a scare tactic?

#1 Posted: 18/9/2013 - 12:08

• Advertisement

• Willstrong

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2013
    Location Vietnam
    Places visited:
    At least 33

It would be nice to have a bike to ride but the traffic is crazy, especially in a big city like HCM city. Be a good driver is not enough, i had many times almost hit or be hit even if i ride slow or fast. Some people keep beeping for nothing. When the traffic jam, people just make it worse by poach the line.

#2 Posted: 18/9/2013 - 12:35

• ryder80

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2010

that's not good news, i'm actually planning to back pack next year in vietnam via motor-bike....

what be the way for someone such as myself to obtain a license, i know it says in the article, if you've been in vietnam for 3 months u can obtain one, but that won't be happening with me or many others...

as anyone on here, actually have obtain a license? if so, what was the time and process for you to get one?

is it actually offical that foreigners won't be allow to motor-bike in vietnam without license, or just enforcing the law?

thanks

#3 Posted: 18/9/2013 - 13:53

• Willstrong

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2013
    Location Vietnam
    Places visited:
    At least 33

Posted from within Vietnam.

Without license you can only ride 50cc bike.

#4 Posted: 18/9/2013 - 19:00

• oasisbarhat-
    ien

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2010
    Total reviews: 4

Re #3 you don't have to have been in Vietnam for 3 months before you can obtain a D/L you have to have a visa valid for at least 3 months.There's a good thread on Tripadvisor about how some people got their Vietnamese D/L in Dalat,telling you exactly where to go and what to do.As regards #4 I live in Vietnam,don't have a Vietnamese D/L,but because of this 50cc exemption,bought a 50cc SYM bike.It's fine for one person,OK with 2 people on level roads,but it does struggle a bit with 2 people on an incline.If there's only one of you and you don't have a lot of luggage it's worth considering.Mine,brand new,with number plates,3rd party insurance and 12 month warranty was 700USD on the road.A secondhand one will be cheaper,but-there aren't that many of them about

#5 Posted: 20/9/2013 - 04:00

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

There's a good post on the wires about getting a license in Vietnam and a thread about an online service. Sorry, don't know how to do links on my pad but you can search.

I have a legally obtained license, organized in Hanoi, but it took time and required a Vietnamese assistant so would not be practical for a tourist.

As to whether it's going to be enforced - there are always stories about clampdowns of one type or another but I've not seen any evidence first hand.

#6 Posted: 20/9/2013 - 08:21

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"organized in Hanoi"

This is really interesting verbiage. Second time I have seen it here on Travelfish - where the word organized is used for acquired. Sarah where are you from and is this common usage there? I'm kind of curious about this one and it's origins.

#7 Posted: 20/9/2013 - 23:01

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

I'm English (http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/vietnam/author/sarah/ ;)) so firstly I should have spelt it organised and secondly, I'd had a long day at work and although I knew it sounded odd I couldn't think of a better word. That said, it did take a lot of work and organisation to get it, so it's not such a poor or unusual choice of word.

#8 Posted: 20/9/2013 - 23:07

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Another poster here used it the same way. He was from Australia. And the Germans sometimes use it this way as well - well their version of the word "Organisieren". That's why it struck me and I was curious about it. I don't think an American would ever say that. "I got my license in Hanoi" would be the most probable word choice I think. Sometimes these little word developments pique my curiousity. Weird I know.

#9 Posted: 20/9/2013 - 23:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.