Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

What to expect when advance booking hotel in Hanoi

Posted by EdwardTrunk on 16/10/2013 at 17:13

I'm hoping soon to book a modest hotel room in Hanoi for 3 days - long in advance, since we're going there fairly soon after Tet. But will Hanoi hotels ask me to hand over debit card details in order to book? I won't use cards overseas for anything but ATMs and I usually bring $ cash for things like paying hotels. What is the norm in Vietnam for making hotel bookings like this? Grateful for any advice.

#1 EdwardTrunk has been a member since 7/9/2013. Posts: 35

Posted by antoniamitchell on 18/10/2013 at 01:57

Hi Edward,

I prebooked hotels several times in Vietnam (normally when I was going to be arriving in town late, and didn't want the hassle of schlepping around town trying to find a room at 10 at night) and none of the hotels asked me to pay a deposit, or provide a credit card or debit card to hold the room. So no, I think you'll be fine making a reservation without handing over your bank card number. If a hotel asks for one, just find another hotel.

Have fun!

#2 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Location: Singapore. Posts: 476
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Posted by EdwardTrunk on 21/10/2013 at 07:09

Thanks very much, that's helpful. I'm seeing attempts for advance payment on hotel websites but I'll be firm about this!

#3 EdwardTrunk has been a member since 7/9/2013. Posts: 35

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.