Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Hoi An or Da Nang??

• nzchanty

Joined Travelfish
    9th June, 2007

I was wondering what people would recommend as their favourite place to base themselves. We have 3 to 4 nights in this area.

#1 Posted: 5/8/2007 - 22:41

• Advertisement

• steveandles-
    ley

Joined Travelfish
    20th March, 2007
    Total reviews: 14

Posted from within Vietnam.

Having just left the area, I would say Hoi An. The town is lovely, there loads of places for good food, a wonderful market to browse through and a fantastic beach about 2k from the town, we were really sorry to leave, although we are now in Mui Ne which is also fantastic.

#2 Posted: 7/8/2007 - 10:08

• Tweet22

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2009

Hoi An, definitely.
    It's actually a Heritage town (soon, if not already renamed-heritage city-which doesn't sound as good). There's lots of places to visit, and I believe it has the most stunning beach in the whole of Viet Nam that I've seen - Nha Trang is a close second.
    Although, if you're after a swim, it's best to go really early in the morning. This way the sun is more bearable, and the sea is very calm. The beach is less crowded. It's just you and blue all around you - very idyllic.
    If anyone goes to this town/city, please try the 'com ga' which is 'rice chicken'. The rice is cooked using the broth from the boiled chicken. Then the chicken is torn and placed on top. Then everything is eaten with a mixture of herbs. The best place is called 'Ba Bui' or 'Ba Buoi'. Ask any local, they know where it is!

#3 Posted: 24/7/2009 - 08:43

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

If you like fighting your way through droves of tourists HoiAn is for you.It certainly is a pretty little place with lots to see but if you want to find the real Vietnam stay in Danang.We stayed for one week near the Cham museum and everynight went to a delightful bar on the river which had a mix of Vietnamese and expats.(Bamboo)Good food,good company.The people of Danang don't see that many tourists hence they are more friendly and nobody hassles you to buy ghastly clothes as in HoiAn.
    ...and the beauty of it,you can get to HoiAn on your rented motor in 40 minutes or take the local bus.
    You've also got a beautiful peninsular to the north of Danang. If you motor up there you can spend an afternoon high up surrounded by pristine jungle overlooking cliffs falling into the sea.You'll probably have the place to your self.Utterly beautiful.

#4 Posted: 24/7/2009 - 13:14

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

If you like fighting your way through droves of tourists HoiAn is for you.It certainly is a pretty little place with lots to see but if you want to find the real Vietnam stay in Danang.We stayed for one week near the Cham museum and everynight went to a delightful bar on the river which had a mix of Vietnamese and expats.(Bamboo)Good food,good company.The people of Danang don't see that many tourists hence they are more friendly and nobody hassles you to buy ghastly clothes as in HoiAn.
    ...and the beauty of it,you can get to HoiAn on your rented motor in 40 minutes or take the local bus.
    You've also got a beautiful peninsular to the north of Danang. If you motor up there you can spend an afternoon high up surrounded by pristine jungle overlooking cliffs falling into the sea.You'll probably have the place to your self.Utterly beautiful.

#5 Posted: 24/7/2009 - 13:15

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand

sayadian makes good points about why to stay in Da Nang, but don't think that Hoi An is just some sort of Disneyland-esque tourist park. I spent 5 weeks in Hoi An, and it is a real Vietnamese town, with plenty of "authentic Vietnam" to be found. Of course, there is a very large tourist presence, and a lot of the Vietnamese who live there work by selling to/catering to tourists, but not everyone. Most of the locals who I became friends with don't work in tourism, and hardly ever even go to the most touristy area by the river. I recommend getting out into the countryside around Hoi An. Take a day to motorbike to My Son and let yourself explore the side roads a little - it's the best "authentic Vietnam " scenery I've seen.

#6 Posted: 24/7/2009 - 14:25

• luchy1309

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2009
    Total reviews: 7

I was about a week ago or so in Hoi An and loved it, I was sad to leave. The town itself is very beautiful just to walk around. There are plenty of places to have good and cheap food. There is a very nice beach about 5Km away which you can reach biking (highly recommended). And if you decide to go there, I would recommend to go to the Hoi An beach club, which has a private beach, little huts in front of the beach, and a pool. You can use all their facilities for free if you have lunch there, which is a bit expensive, but we found some good items in the menu which were cheap and delicious (beef and eggplant clay pot).

#7 Posted: 24/7/2009 - 14:59

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Dluek
    Don't get me wrong I liked HoiAn too.The people are extrememy friendly due in part to it being a trading port for centuries and used to foreigners.The food is good and the hotels are some of the best bargains in SE Asia but Danang has a beach too and very cheap and very fresh seafood.You can pick what you want out of a tank and it's cooked straight away.You can get to My Son just as easily from Danang.
    I suppose it's a matter of choice. I just preferred to stay somewhere a little less developed for the tourist trade

#8 Posted: 24/7/2009 - 16:00

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand

sayadian,

I value your opinion and am glad to hear it. I was sticking up for Hoi An because I enjoyed my time there so much, but I really can't compare because I only stayed in Da Nang for one night, and did next to nothing there. My first impression of Da Nang was that it was somewhere I wanted to spend some more time, and what you say about it makes we want to explore there a lot more. Thanks for your insights about the city and surrounding area. I remember being on the bus just north of Da Nang and passing by a really nice beach there too (although, where in VN are there not nice beaches?) Anyway, you've inspired me to spend some more time in Da Nang at some point so thanks for that.

Also, I found people in the general Da Nang/Hoi An area to be the friendliest of anywhere I went in Vietnam. My girlfriend and I made such good friends there that we're thinking about going back to Hoi An or Da Nang (or somewhere inbetween) in a year or so and staying indefenitly. Needless to say, it is my favorite region of Vietnam, though I have yet to see the far south.

#9 Posted: 25/7/2009 - 01:22

• roynolan

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009

I am going this year, having missed this area out last year, and I thought i would have 2 days in Danag and 2 days in Hoi An, getting the best of both places

#10 Posted: 1/9/2009 - 18:59

• Advertisement

• flamingosui-
    tes

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2008
    Location Canada

Danang...just because there is less tourists and it is a city of 1000 000. Hoi An is cute and all but after a couple of days you have gone around. But hey..it's only depends on your travelling style!

#11 Posted: 28/9/2009 - 16:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.