Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

day trip from Hanoi

• lc60

Joined Travelfish
    14th August, 2006

Hi there,

I'm travelling to Hanoi en route to Australia (only for a week, unfortunately) in January with my daughter.

We will definitely book a tour of Halong Bay (with Handspan??) and are mostly going to spend the rest of the time getting to know Hanoi a little.

However, I'm wondering about the possibility of travelling, as a day trip, to ninh binh/hoa lu/tam coc.

How feasible (and easy!) is this to organise from Hanoi by myself, or would you recommend I try to do it with a guide/small group? From what I've read, it seems it is possible to do this in a day - what do you think?

Or - do you think I'd be better to bite the bullet and travel overnight to Sapa and that area?

I'm not normally an organised group type of traveller, but with only one week in Hanoi and wanting things to be relaxed, sometimes it can be less stressful that way. Its always a balancing act, for me, between seeing some wonderful places and just taking time to try to soak a place in a little, without rushing around too much.

I'd love your help, with this or any other suggestions .... thanks!
    lyn

#1 Posted: 7/8/2007 - 11:45

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi lyn,

A day trip to Hoa Lu/Tam Coc is easily done from Hanoi on a tour or independently. If you do it on a tour it (should) be a smooth running trip and should make the best use of your time. If you're doing it independently expect a little more time to get each thing done.

That said, if you can set aside two days, taking the night train each way, I think you may find Sapa more interesting -- spectacular countryside and excellent shopping.

#2 Posted: 8/8/2007 - 12:13

• lc60

Joined Travelfish
    14th August, 2006

thanks somtam,
    Thats good advice ... I had wondered about Sapa and the surrounding area, but wasn't sure how busy I'd feel like being and didn't want to commit!!
    I guess its possible to organise travelling to sapa when I get to Hanoi, isn't it, without needing to do so now?? I'm not sure about the busyness of that time of the year, re: train bookings etc. Are you able to tell me?
    cheers
    Lyn

#3 Posted: 8/8/2007 - 17:05

• pvdang81

Joined Travelfish
    14th August, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

thanks dang
    that good advice...i had wondered about,holiday hotel

#4 Posted: 14/8/2007 - 22:43

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Lyn,

Sorry for the late reply. I'd say book it when you get to Hanoi -- there's a squillion operators running trips up to Sapa, but there's only so many train seats. I'd suggest sorting out the train leg as soon as you get there -- thus giving you the most flexibility when it comes to departure dates.

January will be pretty busy -- and COLD -- don't forget some warm clothes!

#5 Posted: 15/8/2007 - 07:19

• fitzlee

Joined Travelfish
    11th December, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

sapa is definitely a very interesting place to visit. my hubby & i spent 3 days there (as well as Bac Ha Sunday market) and enjoyed it alot! we took the train to lai cao, then the bus to sapa. the soft-sleeper seats are very popular. so better book ahead!

while for halong bay, it's worth a visit for sure! although we don't usually join any tour, we did it this time as we wanted to spend a night on a boat. it was just great & fun!!!

and hanoi itself is just fantastic!! we just love this city!!

PS. since we stayed at hanoi backpacker hostel, we booked everything there! super nice & professional staff!!

#6 Posted: 18/8/2007 - 03:21

• fitzlee

Joined Travelfish
    11th December, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

sapa is definitely a very interesting place to visit. my hubby & i spent 3 days there (as well as Bac Ha Sunday market) and enjoyed it alot! we took the train to lai cao, then the bus to sapa. the soft-sleeper seats are very popular. so better book ahead!

while for halong bay, it's worth a visit for sure! although we don't usually join any tour, we did it this time as we wanted to spend a night on a boat. it was just great & fun!!!

and hanoi itself is just fantastic!! we just love this city!!

PS. since we stayed at hanoi backpacker hostel, we booked everything there! super nice & professional staff!!

#7 Posted: 18/8/2007 - 03:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.