Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Train from hanoi to Lao Cai

• Joffarelly

Joined Travelfish
    5th November, 2013

I plan to travel with 3 other adults and two kids ( 5 & 7) from Hanoi to Lao Cai on Dec 20th 2013, leaving around 10pm at night.
    After a long search on the internet I get very conflicting information about prices. A lot of sites quote around $40 for a one-way journey. Then some quote around $25. Why the big difference?
    I imagine that agencies add a fee but that is a big difference.
    Would it be better to book when I arrive in Vietnam. Will three days before departure be enough time to ensure I can book a ticket?
    Are the $40 ones only for tourist trains? Can I book a 'locals' train soft bed cabin or can I only do that in Hanoi?
    regards
    Joffa

#1 Posted: 5/11/2013 - 00:55

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

The higher prices reflect the price of the private carriages which most travelers prefer - yes, you can also take the state run equipment (even the privates are pulled by the state run engine) I think most Westerners will find the state equipment rather crude and not especially clean

I advise one of the night trains (remember that Lao Cai bound trains use Station /Ga B)

#2 Posted: 6/11/2013 - 15:19

• Joffarelly

Joined Travelfish
    5th November, 2013

Thanks Daawgon for your quick reply. Can the state run equipment also be booked outside Vietnam? Just curious about my options.
    Do you think that I should book from overseas or do you think I can book it in Hanoi 3 or 4 days before I depart.
    Also, it looks like your last sentence is not finished. (remember that Lao Cai trains use Station ..............?)
    Thanks for your time.

#3 Posted: 7/11/2013 - 05:28

• nangmai

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2013

there are several trains depart for Lao Cai in the evening SP1 , SP3 , LC1 , LC 3... the tourist carriage are nicer and better quality, the rate $40/ow is offered by agencies included their fees.The tickets can be booked on arrival if your departure date is not in the weekend or high season
    if you like shopping around you may find a good price !

#4 Posted: 11/11/2013 - 03:04

• Joffarelly

Joined Travelfish
    5th November, 2013

Thanks Nangmai. I think I'll just book when I get there. I'm ok to go with the non-tourist carriages.

#5 Posted: 11/11/2013 - 21:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.