Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Train from hanoi to Lao Cai

Posted by Joffarelly on 5/11/2013 at 00:55

I plan to travel with 3 other adults and two kids ( 5 & 7) from Hanoi to Lao Cai on Dec 20th 2013, leaving around 10pm at night.
After a long search on the internet I get very conflicting information about prices. A lot of sites quote around $40 for a one-way journey. Then some quote around $25. Why the big difference?
I imagine that agencies add a fee but that is a big difference.
Would it be better to book when I arrive in Vietnam. Will three days before departure be enough time to ensure I can book a ticket?
Are the $40 ones only for tourist trains? Can I book a 'locals' train soft bed cabin or can I only do that in Hanoi?
regards
Joffa

#1 Joffarelly has been a member since 5/11/2013. Posts: 3

Posted by daawgon on 6/11/2013 at 15:19

The higher prices reflect the price of the private carriages which most travelers prefer - yes, you can also take the state run equipment (even the privates are pulled by the state run engine) I think most Westerners will find the state equipment rather crude and not especially clean

I advise one of the night trains (remember that Lao Cai bound trains use Station /Ga B)

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,083

Posted by Joffarelly on 7/11/2013 at 05:28

Thanks Daawgon for your quick reply. Can the state run equipment also be booked outside Vietnam? Just curious about my options.
Do you think that I should book from overseas or do you think I can book it in Hanoi 3 or 4 days before I depart.
Also, it looks like your last sentence is not finished. (remember that Lao Cai trains use Station ..............?)
Thanks for your time.

#3 Joffarelly has been a member since 5/11/2013. Posts: 3

Posted by nangmai on 11/11/2013 at 03:04

there are several trains depart for Lao Cai in the evening SP1 , SP3 , LC1 , LC 3... the tourist carriage are nicer and better quality, the rate $40/ow is offered by agencies included their fees.The tickets can be booked on arrival if your departure date is not in the weekend or high season
if you like shopping around you may find a good price !

#4 nangmai has been a member since 11/11/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by Joffarelly on 11/11/2013 at 21:26

Thanks Nangmai. I think I'll just book when I get there. I'm ok to go with the non-tourist carriages.

#5 Joffarelly has been a member since 5/11/2013. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.