Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

typhoon, where should I go?

• Cata

Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2013

Posted from within Vietnam.

I have just arrived from Hanoi to Hue this morning, and when I get here i'm informed that there is a big typhoon coming over this Sunday.
    I'm supposed to travel to Hoi An tomorrow afterno (the staff at the place where in staying tools me I should do this, becauseif not I will have to wait until Monday to keep on heeding south).
    But I don't know where would it be safest to stay another the storm, if here poor at hoi an. Or if would both be the same...
    Any thoughts??
    another possibility is to take a train or bus back to Hanoi, where it is supposed to be weaker.

#1 Posted: 8/11/2013 - 11:47

• Advertisement

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Hue is further inland so is likely safer. Both are directly in the center of the path the typhoon is expected to take though.

Heading back to Hanoi is an idea but if possible you could try to get down to Nha Trang and avoid it and its affects altogether. I personally would likely sit put as I would actually be interested in seeing the damage etc but that isn't necessarily the best option.

I am guessing Hoi An isn't going to be as nice a location the first few days after the typhoon. Probably a lot of cleanup to be done.

#2 Posted: 8/11/2013 - 14:48

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Here's a map of the expected path.

http://www.businessinsider.com/map-of-super-typhoon-haiyan-path-2013-11

#3 Posted: 8/11/2013 - 21:01

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

#4 Posted: 10/11/2013 - 05:43

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Just wondering what you ended up doing and if you saw any damage at all. Looks like it ended up going further north then anticipated and died down fairly significantly before making landfall. It sure made a mess of the Philippines though.

#5 Posted: 10/11/2013 - 15:51

• Cata

Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2013

Posted from within Vietnam.

Thamks everyone for the tips.
    I finnaly stayed at Hue.
    It wasnt strong at all, just rain, almost no wind.
    Apparently the center of it was over the sea, and it headed north.

#6 Posted: 11/11/2013 - 04:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.