Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Land travel tips pleeeeease: Saigon to Hanoi

• oranjelamb

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2007

Hi travelfishers:

I am planning a trip from Saigon up to Hanoi. Only have about a week so if anyone has any suggestions on land travel that'd be most helpful.

Thinking of
    a) the open bus trail Saigon-Nha Trang-Hoi An-Hue-Hanoi (staying a night at Hoi An), or
    b)Saigon-Danang-Hanoi (staying a night at Danang) by train, or
    c)a possible combination of bus and train?

Could be a little strenous considering I don't have that much time, but I'm willing to rough it out. I could fly Saigon-Hanoi I suppose, but what's fun in that? ;) Also want to make short stops along the way so don't mind stretching it across a few days.

Big thanks and cheers!

#1 Posted: 12/8/2007 - 21:27

• Advertisement

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

Consider the fact that it takes between 30-40 hours by rail to get between the biggest cities.

Always recommend that anyone with a week should stick in either HCMC or Ha Noi.

Out of those two places Ha Noi has more to do in a short time - including Ha Long Bay.

#2 Posted: 13/8/2007 - 02:08

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Totally agree with CatBa. Take a look at our Vietnam trip plans to get an idea of the amount of time to get around. Likewise agree the north is best suited to a short trip. In a week you could sample Hanoi, two night trip to Ha Long Bay and perhaps another side trip -- save the rest for another trip!

Though just reading again, you're starting in Saigon, in which case I'd suggest a few nights in Sgn then a loop through the Delta -- p'haps Vinh Long and Can Tho.

#3 Posted: 13/8/2007 - 06:48

• jstroke

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2007

I'd definitely fly from Hue to Hanoi. $60 an hour flight. You might want to fly from Nah Trang to Hoi Ahn as well. It's also cheap and cuts off a long leg. Book well in advance. The flights fill up quickly.

#4 Posted: 13/8/2007 - 18:01

• oranjelamb

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2007

Hmm that's a thought. How can I book online for Vietnam Airlines?

I did look at the travel planner -- I was sorta going for the abbreviated version of the 10 day top to tail (the other way around), and will be skipping a few stops. Say I still want to take some short trips on the bus, is it reliable?

Thanks a bunch! :)

#5 Posted: 14/8/2007 - 07:26

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

ok, with seven days, you could do something like:

Saigon minibus to Mui Ne, then the overnight bus north to Nha Trang. Fly from Nha Trang to Da Nang. Take the train from Da Nang to Hue (one of the prettiest train trips in the country) then fly to Hanoi.

Even that is really crammed for a week -- maybe fly or take an overnight train from Saigon to Nha Trang too and skip Mui Ne.

Buses are reliable, just not overly comfortable - train is preferable for longer journeys.

#6 Posted: 15/8/2007 - 06:52

• TravelingGi-
    rl

Joined Travelfish
    3rd December, 2007

I will be traveling to Vietnam in February, spending the first couple weeks in the South on my own. I want to travel up north for approximately 20 days and will be traveling solo. What are some of the don't-miss sights (other than Halong, Hanoi)? Should I book a private tour in the US or wait until I arrive in Vietnam? I realize this will be pricy since I will be on my own.

Thanks a bunch!

#7 Posted: 3/12/2007 - 23:29

• TravelingGi-
    rl

Joined Travelfish
    3rd December, 2007

I will be traveling to Vietnam in February, spending the first couple weeks in the South on my own. I want to travel up north for approximately 20 days and will be traveling solo. What are some of the don't-miss sights (other than Halong, Hanoi)? Should I book a private tour in the US or wait until I arrive in Vietnam? I realize this will be pricy since I will be on my own.

Thanks a bunch!

#8 Posted: 3/12/2007 - 23:31

• TravelingGi-
    rl

Joined Travelfish
    3rd December, 2007

sorry- I didn't mean to tag on to this thread!

#9 Posted: 3/12/2007 - 23:31

• rigocampos01

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2011

Forever travel glow with no too much of baggage as thisimproves your litheness and it also become easier for you to go from one placeto the other with no trouble.

#10 Posted: 13/6/2011 - 14:12

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
saigon to hanoi by land ... By cocoku on 18 Dec 2010 2 2126 19 Dec 2010
Hanoi to Saigon - Tips please! ... By BexTucker on 15 May 2013 3 1486 23 May 2013
any tips - taking the train Saigon to Hanoi?? ... By msk100 on 13 Apr 2008 2 14578 14 Apr 2008
HaNoi travel tips ... By brucemoon on 27 Apr 2009 12 12241 20 Aug 2010