Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Itinerary Cambodia / Vietnam / Laos / Northern Thailand

• schwev

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2013

Hi All,

We are planning a 10 weeks trip Southeast Asia from mid January to March.

Some background:
    We are a couple in their 30's. I like beach, culture and food and my husband likes outdoorsy stuff such as jungles, trekking and nature. We both don't like places overrun by tourists.

As it is quite a long trip for us, our budget is low to mid range, ideally boutique accommodation (around £50 a night) with the occasional splurge. We can afford flights between locations and don't need to bus it unless the route is particularly scenic.

We've recently been to Cambodia ( Phnom Penh and Siem Reap), Thailand's beaches and BKK, Burma and Bali, Tea Plantations in India.

Places we would like to go to are: Coastal Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Malaysia, Indonesia.

I thought of the following itinerary:

Day 1: Flight BKK - Phnom Penh - 1 ON Phnom Penh
    Day 2: Drive Phnom Penh to Kep- 3 ON Keep
    Day 5: Drive to Ha Tien and Boat to Phu Quoc - 5 ON Phu Quoc
    Day 10: Flight to Con Dao via Saigon - 5 ON Con Dao (we have a six senses hotel voucher we would like to use there)
    Day 15: Flight to Saigon - 2 ON Saigon
    Day 17: Flight to Danang - 2 ON Danang
    Day 19: Car to Hoi An - 2 ON Hoi An
    Day 21: Car to Hue - 2 ON Hue
    Day 23: Train or flight to Hanoi - 2 ON Hanoi (is there anything on the way to Hanoi worth seeing?)
    Day 25: Car to Halong - 1 ON boat Halong Bay
    Day 26: Car to Hanoi and evening flight to Luang Prabang - 4 ON Luang Probing
    Day 31: Slow boat trip to Huay Xai - 2 ON on the boat
    Day 33: Car to Chiang Mai - 3 ON Chiang Mai
    Day 36: Flight to Kuala Lumpur

The reason why we are only spending little time around Hoi An beaches is because of the weather - it sounds like it will be quite cold in the north of Vietnam, is that right? So we thought Phu Quoc and Con Dao would be a better idea.

Then 2 - 3 weeks Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur, George Town, Langkawi, Taman Negara, Pulau Tioman)

Then flight from Singapore to Medan

Then 2 - 3 weeks Sumatra & perhaps Java

Does the itinerary look feasible? How would Java be weather wise at the end of March? I am reading conflicting info about it. How does Sumatra compare with other regions of Indonesia? We are looking for virgin jungle and an off the beaten track location, that is still bearable weatherise (I know it is wet season in most of Indonesia).

Do our plan sound quite even in terms of nature / city / beach ratio?

I would really appreciate advice as I feel a little overwhelmed by my massive book shelf of lonely planet travel guides and would like to get a more personal account.

Thanks,
    Viola

#1 Posted: 18/11/2013 - 16:56

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
27 y/o female heading from Northern Thailand thru Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Southern Thailand ... By starseed on 4 Mar 2011 10 3491 25 Apr 2011
Northern Thailand/Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam/Indonesia March-June 2014 ... By louiisamarie on 3 Feb 2014 3 1384 24 Mar 2014
Northern Vietnam & Northern Laos vs. Southern Vietnam and Southeast Cambodia ... By ccalvin09 on 16 Mar 2011 6 6765 17 Mar 2011
Help on my 5 week itinerary: Thailand, Laos, Cambodia (Vietnam) ... By snowowl on 22 Feb 2010 3 2859 23 Feb 2010
Itinerary advice - Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam ... By Tiga74 on 15 Apr 2013 17 4101 27 May 2013
Help on my 5 week itinerary: Thailand, Laos, Cambodia (Vietnam) ... By snowowl on 22 Feb 2010 2 4144 26 Feb 2010
5 Weeks Itinerary for Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia - Help?! ... By bootshike on 14 Jun 2012 12 5242 21 Feb 2013
Help on my five week itinerary through Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia ... By nateyu on 19 Nov 2007 9 5946 20 Dec 2010
Yet another itinerary...6.5 weeks Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia ... By woodstock8 on 26 May 2010 4 4736 1 Jun 2010
Itinerary Advice please!!! Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia ... By seanstenning on 8 Jul 2007 6 3898 10 Jul 2007