Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Motorbike trip - Hanoi to HCMC

Posted by chicoelnino on 24/11/2013 at 09:33

Hey guys. Long time since I posted here.

Myself and my g.f will be arriving in Vietnam around Feb/March and we've always wanted to do a motorbike trip from North to South.

We have about 5/6 weeks in Vietnam and we would like to know of any resources that we could research about such a trip?

My biggest concern is that my g.f doesn't drive, so she will have to be on the back on the bike with me and our 1 backpack attached somewhere.

I've driven a scooter around Thailand plenty of times, but never drove in Vietnam and never on a manual bike. So I know I've got to be extra careful etc.

Would someone be able to point me in the direction about where I could find out about buying a bike in Hanoi etc, and also where to look for information about such a trip?

Thanks.
Carlo

#1 chicoelnino has been a member since 17/9/2010. Posts: 66
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by chicoelnino on 1/12/2013 at 10:23

Anyone?

#2 chicoelnino has been a member since 17/9/2010. Posts: 66
 Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by karibakid on 9/12/2013 at 19:29

it is against the law to ride a motor bike in Vietnam with out a Vietnamese licence.to get one you must have at least a 3month visa plus can you read and speak viet and you realize you will have no health insurance. in case of accident and they are frequent On the road buses and truck will try to make you there hood emblems . The police are getting very strict on foreigners on bikes.Road conditions and the the traffic not like any were in SEA.
a few things about Vietnamese bike riders

lights only turned on during the day
rear view mirrors to stop there legs from sliding off while sleeping and to squeeze pimples
indicator lites l/h turning right r/h turning left

give the idea a lot of thought at your peril ,A high accident rate

#3 karibakid has been a member since 8/5/2011. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.