Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Motorbike trip - Hanoi to HCMC

• chicoelnino

Click here to learn more about chicoelnino
    Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2010

Hey guys. Long time since I posted here.

Myself and my g.f will be arriving in Vietnam around Feb/March and we've always wanted to do a motorbike trip from North to South.

We have about 5/6 weeks in Vietnam and we would like to know of any resources that we could research about such a trip?

My biggest concern is that my g.f doesn't drive, so she will have to be on the back on the bike with me and our 1 backpack attached somewhere.

I've driven a scooter around Thailand plenty of times, but never drove in Vietnam and never on a manual bike. So I know I've got to be extra careful etc.

Would someone be able to point me in the direction about where I could find out about buying a bike in Hanoi etc, and also where to look for information about such a trip?

Thanks.
    Carlo

#1 Posted: 24/11/2013 - 09:33

• Advertisement

• chicoelnino

Click here to learn more about chicoelnino
    Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2010

Anyone?

#2 Posted: 1/12/2013 - 10:23

• karibakid

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2011

it is against the law to ride a motor bike in Vietnam with out a Vietnamese licence.to get one you must have at least a 3month visa plus can you read and speak viet and you realize you will have no health insurance. in case of accident and they are frequent On the road buses and truck will try to make you there hood emblems . The police are getting very strict on foreigners on bikes.Road conditions and the the traffic not like any were in SEA.
    a few things about Vietnamese bike riders

lights only turned on during the day
    rear view mirrors to stop there legs from sliding off while sleeping and to squeeze pimples
    indicator lites l/h turning right r/h turning left

give the idea a lot of thought at your peril ,A high accident rate

#3 Posted: 9/12/2013 - 19:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Motorbike Wanted For Hanoi to HCMC Trip Starting 19-20 October 2012 ... By Kiwiboris on 13 Sep 2012 0 573 13 Sep 2012
Motorbike NW loop then hanoi to hcmc in 28 days? ... By shing on 11 Aug 2011 5 3634 26 Aug 2011
Ho Chi Minh motorbike trip to Hanoi ... By taavipl on 2 Oct 2012 0 1745 2 Oct 2012
Motorbike from Saigon to Hanoi (Also looking for someone to do the trip with) ... By SEABackpacker on 10 Apr 2014 8 599 12 Apr 2014
PEOPLE/PERSON WANTED FOR MOTORBIKE JOURNEY FROM HCMC UP TO HANOI. LEAVING ASAP..TOMORROW ... By druciefruits on 27 Jul 2012 0 1503 27 Jul 2012
Motorbike trip Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City ... By rich1 on 1 May 2014 1 495 7 May 2014