Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Itinerary

• perivalepaul

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2013

Hi

Could do with some help with a Itinerary...

My wife and I are planing on a trip to the South of Vietnam and Cambodia in January for just over two weeks.
    The question is where should we go and what should we see and how long should we stay at each destination ? I appreciate this is a very personal decision .
    We are keen to visit the usual sites but would also like some time to relax on a beach and hence do not want to rush around.

We will be flying from London to Hong Kong or Singapore . Should we go to Cambodia first or Vietnam ?

We'd appreciate any input you can give .

Thanks.

Paul.......

#1 Posted: 30/11/2013 - 16:08

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Travel agents do a good job of planning itineraries for those who can't be bothered

#2 Posted: 1/12/2013 - 14:29

• perivalepaul

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2013

Yeah very funny daawgon....

Thank you for your informative comment... If you don't have anything positive to contribute then please don't waste my time....

#3 Posted: 1/12/2013 - 15:08

• NYTim

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

i would do Saigon and surrounds, Da Lat and then Cambodia

#4 Posted: 1/12/2013 - 18:08

• Want2BHappy

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2013

I'm also not a fan of overplanning....

Two weeks isn't very long. By Cambodia, I'll assume you just mean Siem Reap/Angkor.

I'd do Saigon + surrounds: Cu Chi, Tay Ninh etc.

Mekong Delta Can Tho (floating markets) + Boat from Chau Doc to PP and on to Siem Reap.

Back to Vietnam via Ha Tien.

Hyrdrofoil to Phu Quoc for some beach time.

Fly back from Phu Quoc to Saigon and exit...

#5 Posted: 2/12/2013 - 06:52

• pdropl

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013
    Location Spain

Posted from within Vietnam.

I agree with want2bhappy, two weeks isn't very long.
    If you go to Cambodia you must visit Angkor Wat in Siem Reap, you can take a boat to the capital and there visit Killing fields or travel by bus. If you want a quiet beach in Cambodia, try Otres beach or Otres beach II near Sihanoukville (perfect for couples).
    Phu Quoc island is very nice as well, and you can fly to HCNC or even to the north in case you want to visit Hanoi and Halong.
    If you stick around south, go to the Delta and try to avoid overpacked tours and areas...

If you only have two weeks, first you should know where are you flying to and then it will be easier to make a plan! ;)

#6 Posted: 2/12/2013 - 07:53

• perivalepaul

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2013

Thank you all for your informative replys . I will certainly look into your suggestions.

One final question , would you spend all your time in :
    Cambodia,
    Vietnam ,
    Or would you split it between the two , staying in the south of Vietnam ?

Thanks again ...

#7 Posted: 2/12/2013 - 08:02

• pdropl

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013
    Location Spain

Posted from within Vietnam.

Well... That's your decision. What I would't do, is try to do Cambodia and North/South of Vietnam. I guess it would be too much.
    From my point of view, if you think there are no many possibilities to come back to this part of the world in the future do Cambodia and the South of Vietnam. If you can plan another trip next year, do one and take your time. You will enjoy it.

#8 Posted: 2/12/2013 - 08:13

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

OK two weeks is nothing. One country for sure. And Vietnam is big, so that means you pick the north of the south if you go that route.

Personally, I wouldn't pick either and would go Thailand because you want to have some chill time and Thailand is a good place to do that.

But if you really want to go to Vietnam, and you want to hit beaches, then I'd recommend Saigon and it's environs (mind you I've never been there). The rationale is simple - January is cold here and the beaches up north will be COLD.

As I said, Southern Thailand would probably do you better, but it's up to you.

#9 Posted: 2/12/2013 - 09:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.