Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Itinerary 3 weeks Vietnam & questions

• VietRoos

Joined Travelfish
    9th December, 2013

Hi there,

Me and my friend are going to Vietnam in january. Never been to Asia so I'm exited :)

We love nature, strolling around, food, having a beer, watching people living their lives and drive around on bikes (no motors!). We're not in great shape so trekking in the mountains isn't on our list.

We have a few things arranged already (private tour Ninh Binh province, train to Hue , hotel in Hoi An and flight to HCMC).

This is the plan so far:

1 Arrive early in the morning in Hanoi
    2 Halong Bay or Bai Tu Long (overnight on island or boat?)
    3 Halong Bay or Bai Tu long and early in evening back to Hanoi
    4 Hanoi
    5 Private car to Mai Chau (homestay)
    6 Cuc Phuong NP (guest house)
    7 Hua Lu & Tam Coc (nighttrain from Ninh Binh to Hue)
    8 Hue (relaxing, tombs, perfume river?)
    9 Hue
    10 Hue
    11 Taxi to Hoi An via the pass (mayby a stop at the Cham Museum in Da Nang or a visit to Bach Ma NP?)
    12 Hoi An (relaxing, My Son, biking?)
    13 Hoi An
    14 Hoi An
    15 Taxi to Da Nang for flight to HCMC
    16 HCMC
    17 Mekong
    18 Mekong
    19 Mekong
    20 Mekong
    21 HCMC
    22 Early in morning flight back home

Any suggestions, do's en don'ts are appreciated!

My questions:

- Is Bai Tu Long indeed more quiet and beautifull (less pollution) compared to Ha Long Bay?

- Is 4 days Hue mayby too long (enough to do?) and is it easy to get on a bike (without getting hurt in hectic traffic ;)) and visit more peacefull villages/scenery?

- I'm thinking of cutting Hue short and spent a night (on our way to Hoi An) in Bach Ma NP. Good idea? Or just walk there a few hours and skip staying the night?

- We are in Hoi An during Tet; are the shops mostly closed before or after 30th of january?

- Then the Mekong; Is there a big difference between the north and the south of the Delta? I would like to stay in the south; Ben Tre, Tra Vinh, Vinh Lon and Sa Dec. Mayby stay at 1 (nice) central location and do daytrips? Which location would be wise?

Thanks in advance!
    Roos

#1 Posted: 9/12/2013 - 12:36

• Advertisement

• UsTwo

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2010

I spent three relaxing days in Cai Rong after seven weeks of riding around northern Vietnam.
    Bai Tu Long is, indeed, much quieter than Ha Long. Beauty is subjective, but I certainly was impressed. Took a ferry to Minh Chau, nice beach there.
    Did not see any tour boats there, so if you want to spend time overnight on the bay, not sure if you can.
    Can't help with the rest of your questions.

Have fun!

#2 Posted: 9/12/2013 - 14:04

• VietRoos

Joined Travelfish
    9th December, 2013

Thanks for your response!

#3 Posted: 9/12/2013 - 14:56

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi,

I'm not a confident (or terribly experienced) cyclist. I would never have dared cycle in the mad traffic of HCMC, but I felt safe enough to cycle in the Hoi An area, as well as a bit around Hue .

There's some really lovely quiet countryside around Hoi An to cycle in (I went out one day with Heaven and Earth Bike Tours, but you can easily explore on your own with a good map) - rice fields, ricketty wooden bridges connecting small islands, roosters running about in narrow streets, etc. You can also cycle or walk (maybe 3-4 miles) to the beach from central Hoi An.

The tombs in the hills around Hue are a bit out of town - you'll have to be quite fit or used to long-distance cycling to make visiting them all on a bicycle practical (I'm lazy so I went to the tombs by motorbike, and only visited a few temples nearer town by bicycle).

Hope that helps!

#4 Posted: 9/12/2013 - 16:02

• VietRoos

Joined Travelfish
    9th December, 2013

Thank you for the information! I'm a scrared of motorbikes. Hopefully I will get some courage once set in Vietnam ;)

#5 Posted: 10/12/2013 - 02:15

• PinkPox

Joined Travelfish
    28th December, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

Bai Tu Long bay is indeed quieter than Halong bay with much less tourist cruises. As you only spend one night in the bay, staying overnight onboard is highly recommended. If you want to go Cat Ba island and stay overnight at a hotel in Cat Ba, there will be a bit rush because you should do 3 day/ 2 night Halong bay - Cat Ba, not 2 days/ 1 night.

Many cruises do Bai Tu Long bay trip like cruises from Indochina Junk, Treasure Junk, Legacy Cruise, Paloma Cruise.

Have a great trip in Vietnam!

#6 Posted: 19/12/2013 - 22:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
3,5 Weeks Malaysia 22.07. - 19.08, need Tips for Itinerary and general questions ... By nochnbier on 20 Jun 2011 8 4875 14 Jul 2011
Vietnam questions with possible northern itinerary ... By marianaamc on 18 Jan 2014 5 691 24 Jan 2014