Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Language classes or tutors in Vietnam?

• somanights

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Posted from within Vietnam.

It's my birthday in 2 days, and, sad though it may seem, I can think of nothing I'd like to do better than learn some of the lingo here in Vietnam.

I'd really like to go to a class or tutor that somebody can recommend, hopefully for more than one session. Can anybody help?

Even better would be to be able to get lessons or tutelage somewhere nearby my current location - the Mekong Delta, preferably in Can Tho?

Any help greatfully received!

#1 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 09:08

• Advertisement

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

I gave up trying to learn any SEA language other then the very basics like numbers, how much, hello, good morning, thank you etc.

Their languages are just so much different then English that I found them extremely difficult to learn/remember, much more difficult then say Spanish or French. Add in that many people speak English and I felt like I was just fighting a losing battle/wasting my time. At least Vietnamese has a somewhat similar alphabet though so maybe it will be easier then Thai was for me.

If you are planning on being in Vietnam for a long time working/volunteering or something like that it would probably be worthwhile, just be prepared to put in a lot of time and effort to learn even the most basic parts of the language.

As for a school, a quick google doesn't show anything but if you went and asked around the Can Tho University you might find someone that would be willing to teach you. Otherwise it looks like HCMC is probably your best bet.

#2 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 09:37

• Want2BHappy

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2013

Easy way to find a tutor is to stick up a flyer with your number at the University somewhere.....

Either offer to pay or English conversation in exchange.

If you have access to a printer, make sure you do colour and put UK & Vietnam flags on it.

#3 Posted: 4/1/2014 - 03:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
FRENCH AND ITALIAN LANGUAGE TUTORS IN VIENTIANE ... By jrwitherspoon on 19 May 2011 9 2767 24 May 2011
Thai language classes, Bangkok ... By Gorey on 27 Oct 2009 2 1167 28 Oct 2009