Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Guide and driver north Vietnam hill tribes

• photonomadvc

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2014

I hope to travel around north Vietnam from second week in March for 2 weeks specifically to visit, home stay and photograph hill tribes. An advice and any good contacts appreciated also where is best to go using Hanoi as a base? I don't want to revisit Sapa as there are too many tourists there but i love good scenery and mountains.
    Many thanks for any help in this regard.

#1 Posted: 23/1/2014 - 04:59

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

photonomadvc - I think you need a good local travel agent. My agent specializes in the area, and I think he will be able to help you.

#2 Posted: 23/1/2014 - 09:41

• nathuy

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2014

Posted from within Vietnam.

photonomadvc: i like that way you're thinking. i also hate the place where is crowded. i suggest you "Dien Bien". it belongs to northern vietnam. it has mountain and landscapes are beautiful

#3 Posted: 24/1/2014 - 19:46

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I suggest the Austrian alps. Man, incredible scenery and those Austrians - talk about a hill tribe with interesting culture!

#4 Posted: 24/1/2014 - 23:30

• photonomadvc

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2014

Many thanks for your suggestions, I'll look into Dien Bien, I love vietnam anyway and the mountain people especially.
    As for Madmac, i go fly fishing in Austria and I know the hill tribe there also in Slovenia, some of the best fishing anywhere.
    Daawgon, I don't really want a commercial travel agent, people who make their living from tourists tend to get jaded and avaricious. I prefer to interact with local people who are usually far more friendly and helpful.

#5 Posted: 25/1/2014 - 07:04

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"I prefer to interact with local people who are usually far more friendly and helpful."

But language does become a problem then... I think this is the single biggest reason I prefer hanging out in rural Thailand when I want that "authentic" (I use the term loosely here) thing. I can still communicate. Chuck me into the backwoods of Vietnam and now communication is very limited.

#6 Posted: 25/1/2014 - 09:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Hill Tribes in Thailand vs Hill Tribes in Laos ... By nateyu on 29 Nov 2007 0 2055 29 Nov 2007
HIll Tribes / Home Stay ... By archiebaby on 12 Sep 2007 0 1974 12 Sep 2007