Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Vietnam & Laos 6 weeks in December

• Wazzak

Joined Travelfish
    31st January, 2014
    Location Australia

Looking for an itinerary covering both countries. Fly in/out of Ho Chi Minh early December leave end Jan 2015, 2 adults & 2 teenagers.

We had 3 weeks in Cambodia last year & loved it. Vietnam was always high on the list but we keep hearing great things of Laos also. Any suggested itinerary would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 1/2/2014 - 01:05

• Advertisement

• Wazzak

Joined Travelfish
    31st January, 2014
    Location Australia

We're into sightseeing, eating & drinking, temples, snorkelling/diving but not the trekking scene. Teenagers will be 15 & 17.

As a rough guide, what about

Saigon>Mui Ne
    Mui Ne> Nha Trang
    Nha Trang>Hoi An
    Hoi An>Da Nang
    Da Nang>Hue
    Hue>Ha Long Bay
    Ha Long Bay> Hanoi
    Hanoi>Sapa
    Sapa> Luang Prabang
    Luang Prabang> Vientiane

Then some how get from Vientiane to Saigon for flight home. No idea regarding transport between these places, but an overnight train does not sound like much fun!

Is this too many places? I know we've got 6 weeks but wouldn't mind spending some time in these places as opposed to being continually on the move.

#2 Posted: 2/2/2014 - 03:14

• dannyjacob

Joined Travelfish
    10th February, 2014

Hi,

I would like to recommend you to skip Mui Ne if Nha Trang is included in your program, then replace it with Da Lat. In the North, you should visit Ninh Binh province which is home to many beautiful caves and old temples, pagodas.

The itinerary I like would be as below:
    Saigon>Nhatrang
    Nha Trang>Da Lat
    Da Lat>Hoi An
    Hoi An>Da Nang
    Da Nang>Hue
    Hue> Hanoi
    Hanoi>Ha Long Bay
    Ha Long Bay> Ninh Binh (via National Road 10, no need to return to Hanoi)
    Ninh Binh> Return to Hanoi for an overnight train to Sapa
    Sapa> Luang Prabang
    Luang Prabang

Cheers,
    Dan

#3 Posted: 10/2/2014 - 08:07

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I like to fly the longer distance routes such as Nha Trang to Danang/Hoi An - the train will get you there eventually, but it's slow going and none too interesting/none too clean. VN roads are to be avoided - especially sleeper buses.

Sapa-Luang Prabang - I would return to Hanoi and fly this too. If you need to drop a location, I would drop Vientiane - bored me to death!

#4 Posted: 10/2/2014 - 14:13

• dannyjacob

Joined Travelfish
    10th February, 2014

Yes you are right, Daawgon :)

I failed to mention that we need to be back to Hanoi for the flight to Luang Prabang

#5 Posted: 11/2/2014 - 08:36

• Wazzak

Joined Travelfish
    31st January, 2014
    Location Australia

Saigon>Nhatrang
    Nha Trang> Da Lat

? Da Lat is on the way to Nha Trang.

Wouldn't Sapa be cold in January?

#6 Posted: 11/2/2014 - 19:54

• dannyjacob

Joined Travelfish
    10th February, 2014

Actually we can reach Da Lat and Nha Trang from HCMC 2 different way. From Nha Trang, we take a 4 hour drive uphill to Da Lat the most romantic city in Vietnam and can be considered Sapa of the South. From here, there are available flight by Vietnam Airlines to Danang which is gateway to Hoian.

Yes, Sapa is cold in January but the best time for a visit.

#7 Posted: 12/2/2014 - 07:42

• Wazzak

Joined Travelfish
    31st January, 2014
    Location Australia

Thank you for this, great information. Da Lat sounds great. Any idea roughly what a flight from Nha Trang to Da Nang would cost, approximately?

#8 Posted: 12/2/2014 - 15:30

• Wazzak

Joined Travelfish
    31st January, 2014
    Location Australia

Also, what's the best way of getting from Hue to Hanoi? Looks like a long way. Open Tours?

#9 Posted: 13/2/2014 - 00:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
10-Day Honeymoon in December: Laos or Vietnam? ... By glomer on 23 Feb 2010 1 2668 23 Feb 2010
Vietnam and hopefully Laos in December-January ... By jclarkson on 24 Sep 2009 3 2432 26 Dec 2009
November/December 2011 Laos, Vietnam, Cambdia ... By rossco on 27 Jul 2011 0 2199 27 Jul 2011