Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Danang train station to Hoi An

Posted by TerroirTravel on 16/2/2014 at 23:22

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi,
This seems to be a common trip, but I couldn't find any recent posts. I'm taking the train from Nha Trang to Danang, and would like to catch a bus down to Hoi An. I'm on the SE22, that gets to Danang around 7:00 am.

I see a note on the Transport link to catch the bus on Le Duan street near the crossroads with the street opposite the train station (looks like that's Hoang Hoa Tram on my map). That was a 3 year old comment- is this still the case?

Any other tips happily appreciated, thanks.

#1 TerroirTravel has been a member since 1/2/2014. Posts: 58
 Where has TerroirTravel been? 

Posted by LolaNguyen on 20/2/2014 at 02:48 TF writer

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi, to get to the bus from the train station you'll need to get a motorbike taxi as it's not easy to find and a bit of a hike with luggage - there is information here http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/vietnam/2012/12/28/travelling-between-hoi-an-and-da-nang/
The Go Travel 80,000vnd mini bus also provides a direct pick-up from the train station to Hoi An at around that time which is quicker and much less hassle (the information is in the post) and will probably cost you about the same as the local bus and motorbike taxi's between Da Nang train/bus station and another to take you the 3kms into town from the bus station in Hoi An.

#2 LolaNguyen has been a member since 28/8/2012. Posts: 94

Posted by TerroirTravel on 25/2/2014 at 02:36

Hi,
I cobbled together information from various sites and did manage to make this trip via public bus. Here's how you do it:

Exit the rail station, take the road that intersects there (Hoang hoa Tram) up one block to Le Duan. Cross the street, and look for the blue and white bus stop sign for the #1 Danang to Hoi An bus. I just walked along and flagged it.

After a kilometer or so, the conductor will ask you for 50,000 dong. There's a lot on the internet about how locals only pay 18,000, and how unfair that is. Just pay it and don't be a jerk. You're not a local, and you don't get local pricing. Trust me, they didn't invent this concept. I worked at ski areas in the US, we didn't pay what tourists there paid either. Also, if you don't pay, or you argue, he'll just chuck you off the bus, so pay it and enjoy the ride.

When you get to Hoi An, you are about 1 kilometer from the old town. If you are in SE Asia, you should be able to walk this distance. Busses run every half hour or so. Reverse the trip for the way back, tell the conductor "train station", and he'll let you off at the right stop. Having google maps helps you keep track as well.

#3 TerroirTravel has been a member since 1/2/2014. Posts: 58
 Where has TerroirTravel been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.