Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

4 weeks in vietnam

• debandviv

Joined Travelfish
    2nd March, 2014

Hi we are planning on 4 weeks in vietnam - any ideas on this planned itinerary (Hoi An is a special that we have already booked at Sunrise Beach Resort)
    Arrival Saigon
    13-Aug Saigon city & Cu Chi tunnels
    14-Aug Saigon/Mekong delta
    15-Aug Mekong delta
    16-Aug Mekong delta/Saigon
    17-Aug Saigon/Nha Trang by overnight train
    18-Aug Nha Trang
    19-Aug Nha Trang
    20-Aug Nha Trang/Dalat by car
    21-Aug visit Dalat
    22-Aug Dalat
    23-Aug Dalat/Danang/Hoi An
    24-Aug Hoi An
    25-Aug Hoi An
    26-Aug Hoi An
    27-Aug Hoi An
    28-Aug Hoi An
    29-Aug Hoi An/Hue
    30-Aug Hue
    31-Aug Hue
    1-Sep Hue/ Hanoi
    2-Sep Hanoi city
    3-Sep Hanoi/Ninh Binh
    4-Sep Ninh Binh/Cuc Phuong national park/Ninh Binh
    5-Sep Ninh Binh/Halong
    6-Sep Halong Bay
    7-Sep Halong Bay/Hanoi
    8-Sep Hanoi, Night train to Lao Cai
    9-Sep Lao Cai/Sapa
    10-Sep Sapa
    11-Sep Sapa/Lao Cai
    12-Sep Hanoi
    13-Sep Depart Hanoi

We are thinking of booking Tonkin tours or Indochina Voyages for private touring - has anyone used these tour guides??

#1 Posted: 2/3/2014 - 18:14

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'd be inclined to re arrange it slightly - go Saigon - Dalat - Nha Trang and Hue - Ninh Binh - Hanoi - Ha Long Bay to avoid some backtracking.

Otherwise looks fine.

Never heard of either of those guides.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 2/3/2014 - 18:22

• frere

Click here to learn more about frere
    Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

up to you. personally, i'd get to vietnam and talk to people and allow myself the freedom to stay somewhere that i like for more than a few hours.
    sounds like you'll spend most of your holiday on planes buses or trains.

#3 Posted: 3/3/2014 - 09:12

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Do not - I say again - do not - tie yourself to timelines. Stay in one place until you don't like it, then move on. The itinerary you have planned is insane. At least give yourself the freedom, by not pre-booking, of figuring that our yourself. Frere is spot on here.

#4 Posted: 3/3/2014 - 12:21

• MotHaiBa

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011

Tend to agree with frere and MADMAC regarding tieing yourself to an itinerary. You need to build in enough flexibility into your schedule to appreciate Vietnam. Having said that, your flow from south to north hits all the major points, although as Somtam has pointed out, you'll need to rethink the order. One other point from me, do you need to stop in Nha Trang? You'll be able to get plenty of beach time in Hoi An, particularly with the place you'll be staying. I'd be dropping NT altogether and adding those days to other parts of the itinerary.
    Not sure when you are planning to go or what you're interests are. Those may have a bearing on what you might be interested in seeing. For instance if you're into natural things, you might consider Phong Nha Kebang (fabulous cave system) as a side trip from Hue.
    Not too sure about those guides, but I wouldn't be booking anything from home. You can easily pick up a day tour or an overnight thing out to the mekong whilst in country. Talk to people when you get there and you'll work it out pretty easily.

#5 Posted: 3/3/2014 - 15:20

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

I agree that it's great to be able to have some flexibility, but I don't think the schedule you've suggested is overly rushed and you're hitting all the highlights.You could skip Nha Trang with no great loss and use that time to give you some more flexibility, though as you've already booked your Hoi An accommodation that will need to be near the start of your trip.

What tours were you thinking of booking with Tonkin and Indochine? They are both quite expensive operators.

#6 Posted: 10/3/2014 - 01:04

• reevn

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2014

I think this is a suitable planned itinerary for you to discover many famous attractions of Vietnam from North to South. However, your trip will be perfect and unforgettable if you visit Phong Nha- Ke Bang fabulous cave system( Quang Binh province) to enjoy the overwhelming natural beauty.

#7 Posted: 12/3/2014 - 04:15

• Alex222

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2014

Your plan is good and much comfortable you day by day visit in Vietnam i really like these types of written plan because if you go to the visit of any country you must set the plan..When i was there i set the plan write on my phone...

#8 Posted: 1/4/2014 - 03:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.