Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

vinh to vientiane

• elsuave

Joined Travelfish
    6th March, 2014

Posted from within Vietnam.

We seem to be stranded in vinh! We're trying to cross the Laos border into Vientiane, can anyone tell us the best way to do this? At the central bus station now, but they are saying that no buses travel that route from here. Is there another bus depot nearby that will take us to vientiane? Information seems very hard to find. Any help is appreciated!

#1 Posted: 8/3/2014 - 19:05

• Advertisement

• tf_geckozy

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2008

(maybe OP nore more need my information for your travel so my post is an answer to your question for others' use)

First , i think OP & others don't know well that Vinh has 2 big bus stations.

One for "Vinh Bus Station" (=Ben Xe Vinh).
    It's used for long distance buses and now you call this bus station as "Vinh Central Bus Station" in your post.
    One for "Vinh Market Bus Station" (=Ben Xe Cho Vinh)
    It's used for local destinations within Nghan province and it locates 1.5-2km from Vinh Bus station. ---(Ben Xe=bus station, Cho=market in Vietnamese)

There is no direct bus service between Vinh and Vientiane from Vinh bus station till today though there are direct bus services between Vinh and Phonsavan & Luang Prabang for many years, and recently i heard and confirmed that now direct buses between Ha Noi and Vientiane not pass through Vinh city but take a new road (not taking NR.1=coastal route but inland route) to Ha Noi.

To the contrary, local buses that start Vinh city use "Vinh Market Bus Station" --(i.e) destinations = Trung Tam(=a local big township before Cau Creo border), Cao Treo border, Lak Xao (=big local towmship at Lao side near Nam Phao border) on the way to Vientiane.

So not only direct buses between Ha Noi and Vientiane but also local buses that start from Vinh city pass through Trung Tam & Cau Treo(VN)/Nam Phao(Laos) border & Lak Xao(town)
    so if you want to go to Vientiane from Vinh city, take a local bus "from Vinh Market Bus Station to Trung Tam" first, then take a local bus(maybe it's minivan) from "Trung Tam(VN) to Lak Xao(Laos)" via Cau Treo/Nam Phao border next, then take a bus from Lak Xao to Vientiane.

PS) I've not experienced about going to Vientiane from Vinh city taking local buses only though i crossed all the borders(7 border crossings between Viet Nam and Laos) by direct buses many times and only once by local bues from Vientiane to Ha Noi, so i know well about those routs themselves but i don't know how long it takes from Vinh to Vientiane by local buses, and if it's impossible to go to Vientiane from Vinh in a day with some reason, you can stay at Lak Xao one overnight with no difficulties because Lak Xao is a big local township almost like a small city so nothig problem for finding your accommodation and eating spots and transports to Vientiane next day and you can surely reach to Vientiane next day very easily.

#2 Posted: 19/3/2014 - 18:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vientiane to Vinh Bus Advice ... By book_reader1 on 5 Apr 2012 3 4073 7 Apr 2012
From Vientiane to Lak Xao to Vinh to Hanoi ... By dispoiler on 11 Jan 2010 0 2835 11 Jan 2010
Vientiane > Vinh > Ho Chi Minh (transportation mode advice) ... By mukapecah8 on 25 Aug 2010 3 5046 25 Aug 2010