Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Saigon to Kep-what's the best/most interesting way to get there?

• fuzzneko

Joined Travelfish
    28th February, 2014

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'll be traveling from Saigon to Kep, and would like to do it in 2-3 days. Is the best/most interesting way to get there via a flight to Phu Quoc then boat to Ha Tien or on a cruise down the Mekong to Chau Doc then overland to Ha Tien? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

#1 Posted: 13/3/2014 - 16:38

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

With 3 days, assuming you're not going to Phu Quoc Island I'd get a bus to My Tho and do some river trips there then to Can Tho and overnight there, doing the floating market thing in the morning, then continue to Ha Tien for the crossing over to Kep.

If you do want to go to Phu Quoc, then yes, I'd fly there then continue to Ha Tien and over to Kep.

I third option would be to get some kind of Saigon to Phnom Penh 3 day tour that will take you through the delta and then to Phnom Penh by boat and then head south to Kep. Just about any travel agent in Saigon will offer these.

#2 Posted: 13/3/2014 - 20:04

• nathuy

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2014

Posted from within Vietnam.

Taking a river journey and exploring the unique features of river system in My Tho are often a good idea due to the special geographical characteristic there.

#3 Posted: 17/3/2014 - 01:11

• qifitness

Joined Travelfish
    3rd June, 2012

Certainly spend some time in the Mekong Delta en route.
    I did the same trip last year, stopping over in Ben Tre, then Can Tho and from there by local minibus to Ha Tien.
    Was able to easily find a motorbike taxi driver to take me to the border, help me through immigration (while he waited), and then on to Kep .
    We agreed on $15. Yes, it could have been cheaper with more haggling, but the convenience of a 'door-to-door' service to my guesthouse was well worth it.
    The whole journey, including border formalities took about 75 minutes.

(PS..... Would strongly recommend looking up the Kep Rega Guesthouse!)

#4 Posted: 26/3/2014 - 13:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.