Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Tour mafia in Can Tho

• Skyla

Joined Travelfish
    15th March, 2014

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hello there,
    We are currently in Can Tho and tried to book a tour in the surroundings with a reputable tour company over the internet. We are a bit shocked of the stories they told us about the situation here in Can Tho with the "Tour Mafia" or "Gangsters" as they call them. We were refused to book the tour, because the hotel we are staying at, doesn't provide Floating Market tours themselves. Apparently we are always followed and observed when we are going out by members of this mafia. Until we finally book their tours...From some stories I read in the internet I understood, that once you try to approach another tour operator or private boat they will start yelling and threaten the people offering the other tour. I am not sure how far these threats are going, but probably quite far, so much that tour companies are declining paying customers.

We have plenty of travel experience but this certainly never happened to us. Does anyone have more information about this matter?

Thank you for your help

#1 Posted: 18/3/2014 - 04:21

• Advertisement

• phamduythanh

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2014

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi Skyla!
    You can call to the embassy or ask some help from any near Public Security Office (the Police) if necessary. Because competing among small tourist service companies, they can use many way to dispute customers even yelling and threaten each other like you said. But it is not dangerous, it is just annoy and complicated. Cause you will be refused some services, can't be quiet, peaceful...etc...
    Avoiding that situation, you should book from BIG reputable tourist service companies. If you travel to any city of the Northern part, like Haiphong or Hanoi, I can support your group well. No service! :D Just wanna help.

#2 Posted: 18/3/2014 - 10:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.