Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Help - booking first trip to Vietnam!

• janine22

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2014

We are looking to book our first trip to Vietnam next March and we are really unsure of which places to visit! We would like to spend a couple of days in Ho Chi Min City, maybe a couple of days in Hanoi and also a trip along Halong Bay and then 7-10 days in a beach resort, maybe Nha Trang?
    Any advice on this? Does this seem a good choice of places and if so what are the best things to look out for and to do in these places??
    Any help would be appreciated.

#1 Posted: 9/4/2014 - 10:37

• Advertisement

• asianway

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2014

Posted from within Vietnam.

If your purpose is beach retreat & in March, you should go with itineraty : Hanoi 2 nights - then Halong bay with 1 overnight on board, fly to Hoi An for 2 night and then to Ho Chi Minh city for 2 nights, includes Mekong delta . End your trip in Phu Quoc island or Nha Trang for 5-8 nights.
    There are manything to do in Hanoi as city spot visisting, cyling , cooking, markets visit, street foods explore.. kayaking in Halong bay, being a farmer in Hoian, snorking in Cham island, fishing tour, boat tour in mekong delta and night activities in Saigon. Hope it may help.

#2 Posted: 10/4/2014 - 03:14

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Nha Trang would be my very last choice - Hoi An is the place most travelers prefer for a first visit and considerably nicer. 7-10 days is much too long at the beach, in my opinion. If you are expecting another Thailand for beaches, you will be disappointed.

#3 Posted: 10/4/2014 - 12:18

• nganhafdt89

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2013

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hithere,
    Irecommend you an itinerary as suggestion:
    Day1: Arrive Hanoi
    Day2: Hanoi - Sapa
    Day3: Sapa
    Day4: Sapa
    Day5: Sapa - Hanoi
    Day6: Hanoi - Halong Bay
    Day7 : Halong Bay - Hanoi - Da Nang
    Day8: Da Nang - Hue
    Day9: Hue - Quang Binh (Thien Duong Cave & Phong Nha Cave)
    Day10: Quang Binh - Hue
    Day11: Hue City
    Day12: Hue - Da Nang
    Day13: Da Nang - Hoi An
    Day14: Hoi An - Nha Trang
    Day15: Nha Trang
    Day16: Nha Trang - Ho Chi Minh
    Day17: Ho Chi Minh City - Cu Chi Tunnels
    Day18: Ho Chi Minh City- Can Tho
    Day19: Can Tho - Ho Chi Minh City
    Day20: Ho Chi Minh City - Phu Quoc island
    Day21: Phu Quoc island
    Day22: Phu Quoc island - Ho Chi Minh City

#4 Posted: 17/4/2014 - 04:37

• anton77

Joined Travelfish
    18th April, 2014

Mui Ne is a peaceful place with a very nice beach. You should go there for few days from HCM city.

#5 Posted: 18/4/2014 - 04:42

• ebfried

Joined Travelfish
    5th April, 2014

If it is your first trip you will need to know that North and South Vietnam are distinctly different in terms of people, attitudes and sights. If in Saigon I would recommend a personal guide such as Bao Loc (http://privatevietnamtourguide.com). We used him last year and he was just fantastic. It is the easiest and quickest way to get familiar with a city and culture. Hanoi is distinctly different. Stay in the Old Quarter. There are lots of beautiful little hotels. You do need a bit more of your wits about you in Hanoi. Ha Long Bay is great but stay at least overnight in a junk. You can have a junk with maybe only 3 other couples. It is not cheap but great. Bring your own champage though if you like a drink on board - very expensive in Vietnam. You must also go to Hoi An in the center, just south of Da Nang. For culture and food - the top place in Vietnam. Again a private guide is ideal. I can recommend a very good one called Xuan Tu (Soong tu) at www.privatehoianguide.com . Her english is perfect. My son and I used her for several weeks last year - again just brilliant. Another great way to see Vietnam, if adventurous is by motorbike as a pillion passaenger. We did this from Hoi An for 4 days and it was magic. We used Truong Van Trong from Hoi An Easy Riders (Beware there are many using the same name). Trongs was the original. he can be contacted at trongn59@yahoo.com. We had a ball with trong. Enjoy your trip - you will love it.It is a great country, friendly people and food to die for.

#6 Posted: 20/4/2014 - 01:42

• TerroirTrav-
    el

Joined Travelfish
    1st February, 2014
    Places visited:
    At least 25

Hi,
    Planning and knowing what you want is a good thing, but one of the great things about travel in Vietnam is that you can make it up as you go along. Having a loose construct is good, but I found that if I overbooked myself, I ended up staying longer in some places than I wanted to (Hue), and not as long in others that I really liked (Hoi An). Those are just a couple of examples from my experience, but also, you may meet people along the way that you want to travel with, or they give you great tips from where they've been, and if you lock yourself in too tightly, you could miss out on some of the spontaneity that makes it fun.

Also, getting around in Vietnam is super easy- trains and busses will get you anywhere you want to go, and booking them is easy. I saved lots by going to train stations or bus operators directly, instead of travel agents.

Have a great trip!

#7 Posted: 21/4/2014 - 03:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.