Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Trekking in Sapa

• marianaamc

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2013

I'm doing to Sapa and I'm still undecided if I should do a 3d2n trek or a 2d1n trek. But that's not really my question, I guess I'll decide depending on the feedback from my real question:
    I saw some maps of the villages surrounding Sapa but I'm finding really difficult to find information regarding them independently. And most trekking companies offer different treks, with the same time frame, without describing the differences between them besides the difficulty. I don't really mind doing a hard trek, I'm still young and sometimes the harder treks can be more rewarding. But are they? I wanted to go to the villages with the most beautiful settings but I can't find, for example, photographs from each one of the villages and when I research them individually (flickr, google images...) I get many repeated photographs that give me the idea they're that kind of generic pictures...
    So, anyone here has such a knowledge that could advise me on a route for the most beautiful rice terraces/valleys?
    I might be a control freak but since I won't have time to try different treks I wanted to choose the most scenic.

#1 Posted: 13/4/2014 - 17:48

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Mountains in sea arent that tall or scenic.

For me the best scenary is around some of the bays and beaches.

If u want scenic mtns id go to nepal, europe, canada or south america.

#2 Posted: 14/4/2014 - 16:26

• marianaamc

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2013

If I wanted to hike tall mountains I would just hike fansipan.
    The most scenic places don't have to be the tallest. I do like bays and beaches but that's not what I am asking. I did not ask you what you liked the most in southeast asia nor what you thought of mountains around the world.
    You have got to be the first person I hear to say sapa is not "that scenic". Have you ever been there?

#3 Posted: 15/4/2014 - 05:59

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Rice fields, villages and farms r a dime a dozen.

Its not like there are special ones.

#4 Posted: 15/4/2014 - 20:18

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Marian,

This story by our Hanoi-writer may be of use. She did two separate day treks out of Sapa - I realise you're after a longer trek, but this will give you an idea of what you'd get on a shorter trip - I'd expect a longer trek to be more of the same -- you'll visit more villages etc, but not necessarily more spectacular.

The scenery around Sapa is gorgeous.

Hope that helps.

#5 Posted: 15/4/2014 - 21:46

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Somtam how was the nightlife in Sapa? Is the urban area big enough to entertain nightlife, or is it essentially all low key?

#6 Posted: 17/4/2014 - 02:17

• anton77

Joined Travelfish
    18th April, 2014

One important thing to see most beautiful rice terraces/valleys: you need to go there in right season before the rice harvest.

#7 Posted: 18/4/2014 - 04:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.