Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Cho Tinh (Dating Market/ Love Market) in Sapa?

• VanVan

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2007

I'm a brand new member, planning to go to VN in Nov/Dec this year and have tons of questions. For now, I'm gathering the info to map up our trip. I'd appreciate any help from anyone.

First question: I've heard a market in Sapa called "Cho Tinh," meaning "dating or love market." Is it true that something like that is still existing while Sapa is flooded with tourists?

More questions will be coming.....

Thanks for a wonderful website. I've read most of the questions and reply from the forum for the last few days. Will construct my trip and "submit" for comments.

Cheers.

#1 Posted: 11/9/2007 - 23:57

• Advertisement

• rakhee2108

Joined Travelfish
    8th March, 2007
    Total reviews: 6

Yes, the Love market occurs every Saturday in Sapa. However, to get a genuine feel of Sapa, (my favourite place when I visited Vietnam) it's much better to visit during the week and avoid the weekends when Sapa is flooded by tourists and tour groups. Also, on the weekend, hostel rates are higher.

#2 Posted: 12/9/2007 - 03:02

• manooe

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2007

Posted from within Vietnam.

Relationship market(I prefer this name ) occurs around old Church in Sapa. This is the place where the ethnic people come there to find their partner through their folk song.
    But it was changed by tourist. Many curious travelers come there to watch it. So the ethnic people are divided into small groups around Sapa town. Real market doesn't exit in Sapa now. So don't expect too much on this, just save ur time and explore beautiful landscapes and colourful ethic in and around Sapa town.
    I recommend U such as: Ham Rong mountain, Ho village, Ta Phin village, silver waterfall....

#3 Posted: 12/9/2007 - 10:22

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Since 1990, when the market lived up to its name, things have progressively degraded from music played on instruments to cassette recordings to pure exploitation.

Didn't help that tourists showed up touting large, flash equipped cameras, this practically finished the market and the 'love' market moved off site in to other, more private venues.

There is another market, that occurs annually, which has passed and will not occur for several months yet.

Meanwhile, you might enjoy other markets in the area - Bac Ha, etc.

For tour guides, you might be interested in the following:

/---------------------------------------------
    SA PA GUIDES
    Some guides are SO or TUNG (a Black H'Mong) located through Sa Pa Goldsea Hotel, < sapagoldsea@hn.vnn.vn >, 58 Fanxipan Road, Tel: 84-(0)-20-872-180 / 84-(0)-20-871-869. E-m:sapagoldsea@hn.vnn.vn.

Villages worth visiting are Cat Cat, GiangTaChai, TaPhin, YLinhHo, HauThao, SuPan (easily the most beautiful village in Sapa area).

Another excellent guide is "Thanh-Sa Pa" < longsapa@gmail.com >, guiding for over 6 years and has good English. An enterprising guy, he has a tour that includes night 1 in Tavan, Dzay People, night 2 in Seo Trung Ho, Red Dzao, night 3 Ban Ho, Tay People, night 4,5 in Sa Pa, day 6 is for the Montagnard market.

At the Mountain View Hotel there is a Mrs. Hong there who runs a guide service. Many of them are female and young but are very experienced in showing visitors around. For Mount PhanXiPan climbers she has a man named Chang - he is strong enough to assist the weary climbers. Always ask for the long route to the top - the short one is too steep.

But on ALL accounts avoid guides from the Victoria! (expensive - and the Victoria Hotel itself - aging).

Note: You MUST employ a guide if you climb Mount FanSiPan as ONLY they can obtain the required climbing permit from the police. Do NOT worry if the guide appears young, or female, as they all have excellent guiding skills and are likely stronger than you!

And ALL your money helps the locals rather than enriching some cowboy in Ha Noi.

There is regular Sunday bus to Bac Ha from Sa Pa but you can get there by local bus from Lao Cai. There are over 600 hotel rooms of all types in Bac Ha - just make sure you are not too near a street loudspeaker as the chair of the Lao Cai Peoples Committee believes in only setting the volume at high!

Remember Friday and Saturday rates for hotels, etc are higher than the rest of the week. Book your rail reservation at least two days ahead at 120 La Duane - and avoid Ha Noi agent markups and the chance of a different class of service.
    ---------------------------------------------/

ALSO avoid the Queen Hotel in Sa Pa due to continuing thefts from baggage allegedly by 'senior management', as well as the Mountain Hotel for other reasons.

Do NOT use a Ha Noi tour op, they only offer poorer services than the locals.

IF you are going to HA LONG BAY, book your cruise first, then book your Sa Pa train trip for the night of your return from HLB - the Lao Cai (Sa Pa) trains require 2-3 days advance reservation.

#4 Posted: 12/9/2007 - 14:03

• VanVan

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2007

Thank you all for your informative reply. I didn't understand exactly what the nature of the "love market." Just because someone said it's a "must" in Sapa and the name sounded interesting to me.

Now that I understand, I won't bother them even if I go there at the right time.

#5 Posted: 12/9/2007 - 22:50

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

Sa Pa is worth the trip even forgetting the so called 'love' market - it was actually more than a meeting place for singles, also for married people, too.

Trekking / hiking is where Sa Pa excels.

#6 Posted: 13/9/2007 - 05:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
How to get from Maeklong train market to Damnoen Saduak floating market ... By Russian on 5 Sep 2011 3 7357 5 Sep 2011
Sapa and Can cau market in 2 days / Trekking Travel ... By ag on 8 Mar 2010 13 6669 31 Oct 2011
Can Cou or Bac Ha Market? ... By Tessie on 19 Jul 2011 3 2540 25 Jul 2011
Maeklong market ... By kriskeogh on 24 Feb 2012 4 1701 1 Mar 2012
Job market in Singapore ... By margot on 17 May 2010 1 2955 27 Jun 2010
What market to visit ? ... By boleslav on 11 Sep 2009 8 1747 16 Sep 2009
Coc Ly market has moved ... By Nywoman on 28 Jul 2008 5 2857 27 Oct 2011
Market shopping in SEA ... By luce_uk on 9 Apr 2010 6 2139 2 Jun 2010
Tip for Cai Be floating market ... By rdavout on 13 Sep 2008 3 7456 16 Sep 2008
nha trang market? ... By mojopac on 31 Oct 2009 0 1467 31 Oct 2009