Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Hue or Ninh Binh?

• Dorotich

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2014

Having recently discovered an interesting homestay in the countryside outside of Ninh Binh , we are now torn about the penultimate part of our 5-week visit to SE Asia this summer. Following a 5-day stay in Hoi An, we had originally planned to stay 3-nights in Hue to see the obvious sites of the Citadel, the Tombs, and possibly Bach Ma National Park.

Now we are considering the over-night train to Ninh Binh and spending a couple of nights so that we can explore Tam Coc - Bich Dong, Trang An Grottoes, Hoa Lu, or Van Long Nature Reserve.

As much as we would love to see both, we simply do not have the time to do so. We would very much like to hear feedback from those of you whom have been to these locations. What did you like or dislike about them? If you had to chose one over the other, which would it be and why?

Thanks.

#1 Posted: 3/5/2014 - 13:26

• Advertisement

• TerroirTrav-
    el

Joined Travelfish
    1st February, 2014
    Places visited:
    At least 25

I know some people liked Hue, but I did not. More touts per square inch than anywhere! Loved Hoi An, though.

Have you thought about going to Phong Nha Farmstay instead of Hue? It was the highlight of Vietnam for me, and 3 days is a perfect amount of time.

Sorry, I know that it wasn't what was asked, but it was really a great experience.

#2 Posted: 4/5/2014 - 14:36

• nganhafdt89

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2013

Posted from within Vietnam.

Both are very nice, very difficult to choose one of twolocations, but I think you can still satisfy both if you spend a reasonabletime:
    3 days in Hoi An , visit: Cu Lao Cham, My Son Sanctuary,the Cantonese Communal House, Thien Hau temple, Japanese Bridge and Tan Kyancient commercial house, etc.
    Then, drive from Hoi An to Hue, spend 2 days in Hue, visit:Hue Citadel, Thien Mu pagoda, Minh Mang Tomb, Tomb of Khai Dinh, Tu Duc Tomb. BachMa National Park about 50km from Hue, you can visit it on the way from Hoi Anto Hue.
    Night train to Ninh Binh, spend 2 days left to explore: TamCoc - Bich Dong, Hoa Lu, Trang An, Bai Dinh Pagoda.
    Good luck,

#3 Posted: 5/5/2014 - 04:43

• Filia

Joined Travelfish
    6th May, 2014

Hoi,
    Sorry can not answer your question because we have the same dilemma.....

We do are interested in a homestay near ninh binh!
    Can you give us the name?

Thanks,

Marijke

#4 Posted: 6/5/2014 - 06:06

• Dorotich

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2014

Hi Marijke;
    The homestay we are considering is Nguyen Shack. They also have a homestay in the Mekong Delta where we will be staying earlier in our trip. It was because of their website that we began considering this option. Here is the link: http://www.nguyenshackhomestay.com/ninhbinh/

Paul

#5 Posted: 6/5/2014 - 08:26

• Dorotich

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2014

In response to TerroirTravel;

Thanks for throwing another monkey wrench into our planning.....as a result of your fine suggestion, we are now leaning toward the Phong Nha Farmstay. Our twenty year old children are excited about the prospect of observing traditional rural life up close and the caves are a big draw.

#6 Posted: 6/5/2014 - 08:34

• Filia

Joined Travelfish
    6th May, 2014

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your quick answer.
    We had also find this homestay but it was a little bit above our budget.

Thanks anyway!

Marijke

#7 Posted: 6/5/2014 - 09:31

• HamishHealys

Joined Travelfish
    26th April, 2014
    Location Australia

Go with the overnight train to Ninh Binh. There's a cluster of nice places to visit like the Trang An Grottoes. By the way, don't forget to enjoy that exotic Vietnamese food!

#8 Posted: 14/5/2014 - 17:11

• TerroirTrav-
    el

Joined Travelfish
    1st February, 2014
    Places visited:
    At least 25

Hi! Did you go to Phong Nha? Did you do the cave thing? I hope you loved/will love it!

TT

#9 Posted: 3/7/2014 - 20:01

• onapthanh

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2014

I think that now we go with the overnight train to Ninh Binh

#10 Posted: 11/7/2014 - 19:27

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I would opt for Ninh Binh also, but remember that the town of Ninh Binh itself is nothing much. I also have a problem with Hue since I was scammed there several times!

(I suggest you ask specific Ninh Binh questions on the Tripadvisor Vietnam forum - they have a moderator there who is very familiar with the area)

#11 Posted: 12/7/2014 - 11:43

• larsay

Joined Travelfish
    20th July, 2014

Well, one has absolutely NOTHING to do with the other ! Hue is a charming city with a great deal of historic sites such as the Imperial City, Thien Mu Pagoda and the marvelous Mausoleums (main ones : Ming Mang, Khai Dinh, Tu Duc); 2 days in Hue are OK. You then take the night train Hue- Ninh Binh + taxi Ninh Binh (where you do not stay ; ugly !)-TAM COC. 2 days in Tam Coc.

Forget the Trang An boat ride, developed for Asian tourists, so it's all concrete, big crowds (they have now even installed loud-speakers which blast music) ; the same real state shark has developed the site of the Bai Dinh Pagoda, a gigantic concrete complex with no charm whatsoever.; the most beautiful boat ride is still the Tam Coc one, to do before 10 in the morning (before the excursion groups arrive) or around 4 (when they have left). Do not forget to climb the 450 steps of the Hang Mua Pagoda ; the view from the top is stunning ! Avoid Tam Coc on week-ends, busy-busy with Hanoi ans !

Then, day train Ninh Binh-Hanoi (often late !) or better, you ask your hotel to arrange a return on an excursion minibus ; there are always seats available (50-60 000 D), which stop you in Old Hanoi, sometimes in front of your hotel or the closest possible (you just give the name and address of the hotel to the tour guide)

I do not know any homestay in Tam Coc because I always stay at the famous small hotel Chez loan, whose owner Loan is a celebrity (last week was the 40th time I go there, a sheer heaven when you get tired of Hanoi noise !). However, I know that one Canadian has opened a small "resort" of bamboo cabins nearby.

#12 Posted: 20/7/2014 - 02:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Ninh Binh ... By hotdiggeydog2 on 16 May 2008 0 2934 16 May 2008
Hanoi to Ninh Binh ... By John67 on 30 Mar 2010 1 7225 31 Mar 2010
Ninh Binh & Cuc Phuong ... By burnthisnow on 10 Jun 2008 3 3118 20 Nov 2013
Ninh Binh questions! ... By yan on 27 Aug 2009 1 2704 27 Aug 2009
ninh binh. cuc phuong national park. ... By frere on 4 Nov 2013 0 1859 4 Nov 2013
Ninh Binh to Huong Son (Purfume Pagoda) Possible? ... By angfonz on 28 Aug 2009 2 3278 29 Aug 2009
Ninh Binh DON'T: QUEEN MINI GUEST HOUSE ... By samdraft on 2 May 2008 5 9342 19 Jan 2009