Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Looking for English speaking guide

Posted by archiebaby on 13/9/2007 at 04:44

Hello, I am looking for a local english speaking guide to take us for about 5 days along the east coast of Vietnam. There are 2 of us & would like to see as much how the locals live. How much should I pay? Many thanks.

#1 archiebaby has been a member since 12/9/2007. Posts: 22

Posted by CatBa on 13/9/2007 at 05:45

VietNam has a very, very long 'east coast', so it would help knowing which areas you are interested in.

#2 CatBa has been a member since 5/3/2007. Posts: 349

Posted by archiebaby on 13/9/2007 at 05:58

Thanks, never been there before. Between HMC & Hue.

#3 archiebaby has been a member since 12/9/2007. Posts: 22

Posted by manooe on 13/9/2007 at 08:34

Posted from within Vietnam.

it's at least 20 USD per day. And the tip money is up to U.
The beaches between HCM&Hue are very beautiful so enjoy ur time.

#4 manooe has been a member since 12/9/2007. Posts: 34

Posted by CatBa on 13/9/2007 at 08:44

I have always found it useful to look at maps of any proposed destination and then to figure out the time / distance ratio of travel.

The distance you are discussing is approximately 1,000 kilometres in length.

Since the train takes about 30 hours to cover 1,600 kilometres between Ha Noi and HCMC the figure is about 53 kilometres (around 30 MPH) per hour. Therefore it can be calculated that the fastest you can travel to Hue, and presumably return, would be 37 hours or 2.5 days.

Road is around the same ratio. Only air is faster.

Bottom line is you won't see much in 5 days!

I therefore suggest that you pick either Ha Noi or HCMC - which have international airports - and base your brief visit on one of them.

HCMC could be combined with a family stay in the Mekong and Ha Noi could be combined with a trip to Ha Long Bay.

Post which you are interested in and no doubt many thoughts will evolve.

#5 CatBa has been a member since 5/3/2007. Posts: 349

Posted by dingerdis on 16/9/2007 at 12:04

Posted from within Vietnam.

Some tips from Saigon...
Travelling private with a tourguide means needing to rent a car, driver, tourguide (as drivers donot speak English). Costs depends on the number of km's, tourguide, hotels, food. To get some idea.. 2 weeks from Saigon to Hanoi excl hotels, 2000 usd. A lot cheaper is travelling by 'open bus' and get a excursion with guide on arrival. Of course by this way you mainly visit the regular tourist places. E.g by open bus fom Saigon to Hanoi 50 usd, takes 48 hours.

#6 dingerdis has been a member since 16/9/2007. Posts: 2

Posted by archiebaby on 23/9/2007 at 05:51

Hi Trong,

I arrive Saigon 29th October & stay in vietnam till 8th October, are you available during these dates.

Thanks

#7 archiebaby has been a member since 12/9/2007. Posts: 22

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.