Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Traveling Safety

Posted by jbrey99 on 20/5/2014 at 11:45

Hi, my girlfriend is an American citizen but born in China and of Chinese ethnicity. She will be traveling alone through HCMC to Hanoi for a week and a half and I just wanted to gauge whether or not she will be safe, or face any violence or harassment due to the recent protests and anti-Chinese conflicts.

Thanks

#1 jbrey99 has been a member since 20/5/2014. Posts: 2

Posted by travellingsarah on 20/5/2014 at 23:11 TF writer

Posted from within Vietnam.

As far as I've heard, there hasn't been any trouble or protesting since the weekend but that doesn't mean anti-Chinese sentiments aren't still running high and, as you have probably seen, Chinese nationals are being evacuated and holidays are being cancelled. I have no feel for what that means for the average Chinese person on the street, but I wouldn't have thought it was an ideal time to visit. Perhaps best to check official advice.

#2 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 679
 Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.