Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Vietnam - Itinerary help?

• caroquette

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2014

Hey guys,

So, I'm going with my boyfriend to Southeast Asia for one month. We're arriving first in Hanoi and staying there for one week.
    Any advice on what to visit? Where to stay? Shall I always stay in Hanoi?

PS - Comments like "you're stupid for only staying one week" etc (as I've heard before, here...) are not necessary since it is the only time I've got to spend.

Thank you so much for your time :)

#1 Posted: 20/5/2014 - 13:15

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi. Plenty to do in and around Hanoi to keep you occupied for a week. Check out the wires and sights and activities on here for some ideas about how to spend more than a couple of days in the city. Easy to reach places which are worth a visit for a couple of days include Halong Bay and Tam Coc (via Ninh Binh). Sapa is also feasible for a couple of nights although if you go to Sapa I'd suggest just do Hanoi and Sapa and don't try to fit in any other side trips.

#2 Posted: 20/5/2014 - 23:52

• caroquette

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2014

Thank you for your help!

#3 Posted: 21/5/2014 - 02:24

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I think it is a good idea to just base yourself out of a single city for a week. With all that time you can just make plans when you arrive.

#4 Posted: 21/5/2014 - 22:10

• crellston

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009
    Places visited:
    At least 2

As mentioned above there is plenty to keep you occupied in. Hanoi for a week but if you do fancy a change of pace from the city then I would opt for Sapa by overnight train which will probably take a min of three nights. Another option which is much closer to Hanoi (c4 hours) is the Mai Chau valley which, although not as dramatic, has some fantastic scenery. We stayed in a homestay there for a couple of night and really enjoyed it.

A few of our photos from our time there
    http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/candcthai/3/1250748042/tpod.html

And of Sapa

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/candcthai/3/1250750853/tpod.html

#5 Posted: 23/5/2014 - 02:52

• USapa

Joined Travelfish
    18th June, 2014

Posted from within Vietnam.

May be....

D1: Arrive Hanoi , overnight Hanoi
    D2: Hanoi (Ho Chi Minh Museum, Hoan Kiem Lake, Vietnam Museum of Ethnology, water puppet show in evening), overnight Hanoi
    D3: Trip to Halong Bay, overnight on boat
    D4: Back from Halong Bay, night train to Sapa
    D5: Sapa, overnight at hotel
    D6: Sapa trekking to village, homestay
    D7: Night train to Hanoi, arrive in Hanoi at 6am of D8

#6 Posted: 18/6/2014 - 21:59

• Rubixx

Joined Travelfish
    27th June, 2011

^ That itinerary is great. It miight be a little tiring but Sapa and Halong Bay are the must see places if you are arriving and leaving from Hanoi.

#7 Posted: 11/7/2014 - 01:43

• 9preciousGe-
    ms

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2011

Great info in this thread - any suggestions for 16 nights in Vietnam? Plan has to be Flying into Hanoi and out of HCMC

#8 Posted: 11/7/2014 - 03:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.