Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Opinions on this proposed Vietnam Trip

• liverpoolmeg

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2014

1. Arrive in Hanoi via flight from Bangkok and spend 2 nights there

3. Sleeper train to Sa Pa, stay there for a few days then back to Hanoi

4. Then a bus to Ha Long Bay and get a tour there and stay maybe 1/2 nights before returning to Hanoi

5. Then get the sleeper train down along the coast stopping at Hoi An and Nha Trang for a couple of days each

6. Arrive at HCMC and spend 3 days there and then get a flight back to Bangkok

Is this a good plan?

Cheers

#1 Posted: 21/5/2014 - 11:37

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

You'll book the train to Da Nang and from there head to Hoi'an, which has okay beaches near it, the one closer to Da Nang is often cleaner. I'd recommend you skip Nha Trang , I've never been but had several people tell me it was disappointing. You might want to add an extra day around Hoi'an anyway. You could spend a day exploring Da Nang on a motorbike (Monkey Mountain? to Northeast of the city is a great morning excursion). Then you could fly out from Da Nang the next day to HCMC to save some time. If you wanted to move another day from Nha Trang I'd explore taking a one night trip to Can Tho to check out the floating markets. It'll be a bit hectic, but you could leave HCMC early one day, stay the evening, wake up very early for the floating market (that is how it is done) and then leave in the afternoon to return to HCMC. Not ideal, but I love Can Tho.

#2 Posted: 21/5/2014 - 22:06

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I completely agree with Casey!

#3 Posted: 22/5/2014 - 04:05

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

In my opinion, Hanoi itself deserves more time (less in Saigon), and I also agree that Nha Trang is not worth it. Most Halong Bay cruises include transportation from Hanoi. Don't expect much on Viet trains - you might want to use domestic air instead.

#4 Posted: 24/5/2014 - 13:43

• TerroirTrav-
    el

Joined Travelfish
    1st February, 2014
    Places visited:
    At least 25

I'm going to add another voice to those that advise to skip Nha Trang . I really liked Hoi An, and stayed longer than planned there, Nha Trang was just a Russian resort. Which is fine if you are Russian, but your name gives you away :)

I liked the street food better in Hanoi (compared to HCMC), but I liked the war monuments and exhibits better in HCMC than Hanoi. However, when I was there, Saigon in January had perfect weather, and Hanoi in March was drizzly, so that may have colored it for me.

#5 Posted: 24/5/2014 - 16:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Opinions on this proposed Thailand/Vietnam Trip ... By liverpoolmeg on 21 May 2014 1 448 21 May 2014
Proposed Trip to Laos ... By pajero on 15 May 2011 15 2131 17 May 2011
Proposed trip to Burma ... By pajero on 15 May 2011 10 3352 6 Aug 2011
My Proposed trip South To north Feedback please ... By MrMidrange on 7 Nov 2006 1 1894 7 Nov 2006
Opinions and suggestions needed - 4wk trip ... By Sparts on 5 Jun 2009 14 3219 3 Jul 2009
trip plan for a month in Laos ,Your opinions ... By itayze on 2 Aug 2010 9 2570 6 Aug 2010