Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Unmarried couple in Vietnam

• Berik84

Joined Travelfish
    21st May, 2013

Hey People.
    Im going to Vietnam soon together with my Philippine girlfriend.
    Will it be any problem there sharing room ?
    I only saw that unmarried couples ( mixed) can get problems, but it say little about mixed couples that aren`t from Vietnam.

#1 Posted: 24/5/2014 - 12:29

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I traveled with my girlfriend a couple years back and had no trouble getting a room in HCMC, Can Tho or Phu Quoc. She is Chinese and I'm from Anglo-Saxon stock. You have to show ID when checking in, so maybe if your girlfriend had a Vietnamese ID they might have some problem with that. I think you'll be ok.

#2 Posted: 25/5/2014 - 21:26

• travelfish0-

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2014

Posted from within Vietnam.

Dont worry, they ll not bother u with these kind of questions, its super easy to book a room in VN now

#3 Posted: 27/5/2014 - 04:41

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Traveled with a Vietnamese-American woman there a few years ago and had no problems staying in the same room. One hotel in Hue (outside of tourist area) said they don't allow foreigners to stay at all, but that was the only issue over three months.

#4 Posted: 27/5/2014 - 06:05

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"One hotel in Hue (outside of tourist area) said they don't allow foreigners to stay at all"

What a good business practice for a hotel. Imagine a hotel in Germany doing this? I can hear the talk radio right now...

#5 Posted: 27/5/2014 - 20:59

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hotels in Vietnam (and in Burma, and I think Laos) need a different license to be able to accept foreigners - in theory I think it is related to standards & safety. Practically if your hotel is in a "remote area" where they are very unlikely to see foreigners, there is little point spending the cash.

So, in both Vietnam & Burma, the more off the beaten track you go, the more often you'll come across this problem. On my motorbike trip in the Mekong Delta a year or so back this happened 3-4 times, in Burma, was frequently a problem in most of the towns I went - in Yangon & Mandalay for example there are plenty of hotels that are not licensed to accept foreigners.

There are also places that just decide to to accept a certain nationality. Quite a few spots around Khao San Road have a "No Israeli" rule for example -- that's obviously far more offensive, but a different situation to what is generally happening in Burma & Vietnam.

#6 Posted: 27/5/2014 - 21:49

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Strange that these licensing problems don't exist in Thailand, Laos or Cambodia though.

"No Israeli", "No Indians" "No Africans" - all of those exist here sadly. I won't frequent any business that maintains such a policy though.

#7 Posted: 27/5/2014 - 23:16

• larsay

Joined Travelfish
    20th July, 2014

Posted from within Vietnam.

Absolutely no problem with a Philippina ! It is true that some hotels will not take unmarried Viet clients, but they are rare considering that the Viet men are not shy of taking a girlfriend (or often mistress) to a hotel

#8 Posted: 2/8/2014 - 03:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.