Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Chau Doc to Siem Reap

• zotsam

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2007

I'll be in Vietnam in November. I have 7-9 days set aside at the beginning of my trip to visit some of the Mekong & also go to Siem Reap. My plan is to take bus from HCMC to Chau Doc (maybe via Can Tho), take a fast boat to Phnom Penh, a bus to Siem Reap & then a flight to Hanoi. How much should I expect to pay for the boat & airfare? Will a fast boat allow me to take a same-day bus to Siem Reap? Is there a better way to combine both (eg. a boat from Can Tho to Chau Doc, then bus to Siem Reap or visit the Mekong delta and then fly from HCMC to Siem Reap)? I'm also open to flying back to HCMC instead of Hanoi if it's considerably cheaper, however I will be heading north to Hanoi, so I'll either make my way there by land & fly back to HCMC or fly there from HCMC & make my way back by land.

#1 Posted: 14/9/2007 - 00:39

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi zotsam,

Speedboat Chau Doc to Phnom Penh around US$18
    Bus to Siem Reap US$6-10 depending on bus company
    Airfare - check with Vietnam Airlines -- they're the only one that fly Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh or Hanoi.

I think in taking the fast boat you'll be in Phnom Penh too late for a bus to Siem Reap - I'm not sure on that though.

There's no regular ferry services between Can Tho and Chau Doc to my knowledge, and anyways, bus is faster, so your initial plan seems to be about the best.

#2 Posted: 14/9/2007 - 09:03

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

There is a Can Tho >> Chau Doc ferry service that started earlier this year.

Given you will be boating later, I agree the bus is the better way to go.

Either book your Cambo visa on-line or buy it at the consulate in HCMC to avoid border hassles and another rip-off.

Do NOT let anyone carry your baggage at Chau Doc - just another money raising scam.

Don't forget, if you want to re-enter VN have your visa endorsed for multiple entry and extended (same price).

#3 Posted: 14/9/2007 - 11:25

• zotsam

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2007

Thanks for the information. Lots to think about...I'm trying to get the approximate cost a Siem Reap - Hanoi ticket online...no luck so far. I'll look into the Can Tho-Chau Doc ferry, though, sounds like a good way to get to Chau Doc.
    I want to spend as little time as possible in Phnom Penh. Is there any option, apart from air, that will allow me to bypass it or get in & out quickly, so I can make it to Siem Reap on the same day I leave Vietnam?

#4 Posted: 15/9/2007 - 04:16

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

CatBa, I thought that service (the Can Tho to Chau Doc) was canned?

zotsam, last time I went overland from HCM to PP, I left saigon at around 7am and wasn't home till about 5pm. We sat at the border for no good reason for a good three-four hours. If you get a fast run through, then you should be in PP by early afternoon at which time you should be able to get a late bus to Siem Reap. your only other option would be to hire a share taxi for an evening run to Siem Reap, though personally I wouldn't use share taxis at night in Cambodia, due to increased chances of accidents.

#5 Posted: 16/9/2007 - 08:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Siem Reap to Chau Doc in 1 day? ... By jonyd1 on 2 Nov 2010 5 4180 5 Nov 2010
Boat from Chau Doc or Siem Reap ... By cuffedbloke on 30 Oct 2009 0 4614 30 Oct 2009