Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Halong Bay Advice plus Sapa

• Bridgequeen

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2013
    Location Earth

Hi

I am planning a solo trip to Hanoi in October/ November in order to visit Halong Bay. Having read some of the posts on this forum I may also include Sapa so my questions are:
    1 Can anyone recommend a good Halong Bay Cruise? I am not very fit so not able to clamber over other boats to board and do not relish the idea of carrying my own luggage down treacherous steps. Whilst I am budget conscious, I am prepared to pay more for this section of the trip.Also, I have heard that it is cheaper to book in Hanoi than online - is this still true? And one more requirement, I am a smoker so do not want a boat where you can't smoke (there does not appear to be much information out there about this).
    2 Having read reviews I am considering also doing Sapa, what is the easiest way to get there? I don't like sleeper trains for obvious reasons, as I am not prepared to pay for the whole compartment.
    3 After North Vietnam I am going on to Cambodia. I am considering flying Hanoi Bangkok Bangkok Siem Reap or Phnom Penh with Air Asia. Does anyone know of a reasonable direct alternative?

Many thanks for your time

#1 Posted: 1/6/2014 - 16:25

• Advertisement

• comtam3000

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2014
    Location United States

The only reasonable route up to Sapa from Hanoi is by sleeper train from Hanoi - Lao Cai then minibus from Lao Cai to Sapa (correct me if I'm wrong).

As for Halong Tours, there's a plethora of information already in the forums as well as a sticky that contains some tips. Put that search button to use! If I were you, I'd opt for booking your Halong tour in person once in Hanoi. That's a general rule of thumb that could probably be applied to booking just about anything in this region, except a flight.

#2 Posted: 4/6/2014 - 01:29

• USapa

Joined Travelfish
    18th June, 2014

Posted from within Vietnam.

You can get the bus from Hanoi to Sapa, a sleeping bus. It will take you about six hours to go only as the new highway has opened last week.

#3 Posted: 18/6/2014 - 21:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.