Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Boston Hotel in Hanoi

• seattle

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2007

Is the Boston Hotel in Hanoi a good safe choice to use as a day use hotel while waiting to take the train to Sapa. Store bags ect. How far to the train station and other locations for restraunts and site seeing ect.? Thanks

#1 Posted: 15/9/2007 - 18:12

• Advertisement

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

The Boston doesn't any serious detrimental remarks against it the past 36 months.

For a web page, check: < http://www.vietnamtourism.com.vn/hotels/run/hotel.php?ID=730&lan=E >

It is apparently run by an American.

However, regardless of management I always secure my bags extremely well - using a www.Pac-Safe.com - and taping the outside. This is only fair to the hotel, its employees and yourself.

Of course, you accept all responsibility for any losses.

Remember that VN trains leave DEAD ON TIME and you should be at the platform 30 minutes BEFORE scheduled departure. NOTE that the Lao Cai trains usually leave from Platform 10/11 which is on the far side of the tracks from the lobby glass doors. Access via the walkway to the right of the door and watch out for the trains!

Last tip. Take toilet paper / soap / paper towels AND a wire coat hanger - to be used to secure the door handle to the nearest bunk bed to stop thieves crawling in whilst you sleep. And never, ever, vacate the cabin if requested by others sharing - thefts from baggage are common.

#2 Posted: 15/9/2007 - 21:20

• seattle

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2007

Thanks for the info.so far about the Boston Hotel! How much and which taxi company should I use to transfer from the airport to the Boston Hotel. Is the Boston Hotel located within walking distance to the train station? Is this the old quarters part of Hanoi or the back packers area? Thanks

#3 Posted: 16/9/2007 - 06:09

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

For location, etc. check the link I provided above, there is a map that will ease your journey better than any words.

Be aware that the taxi's in Ha Noi are amongst some of the most crooked worldwide. They know every trick and are always developing more.

The BEST way is to take the VietNam Airlines shuttle bus service from Noi Bai Airport which will drop you off outside the VN Airlines office. A short taxi ride will get you to the Boston.

ONLY use DeLuxe, VN (NOT VietNam), Mai Linh and HaNoi Tourism taxis - the rest are crooks. NOI BAI AIRPORT TAXIS HAVE NO METERS!

Never, EVER, mention the hotel of your choice to ANYONE at the airport - just say Hoan Kiem Lake - as there are so many scams you can be taken by.

If I sound a little jaded, I've been here nearly 18 years and have seen the lot! Only the other day an idiot driver tried top score VND2,225,000 for a VND30,000 ride - he even wrote it down on the back of a driver form - which I kept!

The MAXIMUM from the airport to downtown, if you insist on a taxi, is USD$10 - no extras like imaginary bridge tolls, etc. Again, just say Hoan Kiem Lake and ONLY mention your hotel name AFTER you have crossed a major bridge very close to the city centre.

#4 Posted: 18/9/2007 - 05:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.