Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

i am planning to live in Vietnam.

• alan653

Joined Travelfish
    27th June, 2014
    Location United States

I am a American now living in Thailand. I am planning to move and live in Vietnam in the near future (about a year from now). I would like to know what is required for a retirement visa, how often do you have to check in with immigration, and how can I set up a bank account with a reliable bank. My home base would be Saigon, or Hanoi. Any idea's on which city would be best?

#1 Posted: 27/6/2014 - 21:12

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I suggest asking your question at the Hanoi expat forum:

http://tnhvietnam.xemzi.com/en/aska/questions

#2 Posted: 28/6/2014 - 13:27

• vinhdao

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi Alan,

Currently, Vietnam doesn't have a retirement visa option. You have two options. You can try to get a permanent resident card or a long-term tourist visa. A permanent resident card is very hard to obtain if you do not work in the country so your best bet is a long-term tourist visa and just constantly renew it using one of the local travel agents or filling out the N14/M form at Immigration. However, with form, you will need a sponsor and a confirmation from the police at the ward you are residing so it's best to stick to a travel agent.

As for setting up a bank account, the idea of reliable depends. I would stick with the international branded banks but ensure that they connected with their international affiliates. For example, if you have an ANZ Vietnam, ANZ Australia and ANZ Cambodia bank accounts, this doesn't necessarily mean that they play in the same banking ecosystem. Most banks will require a work permit to open an account but a way to get around this is to set up an account within a month of arrival. Since it takes ages to get a work permit, banks allow for this.

As for which city to live in, I guess it would depend on you. I personally like HCMC but that's just me.

Hope this information helped you with your decision.

Vinh

#3 Posted: 1/7/2014 - 21:13

• alan653

Joined Travelfish
    27th June, 2014
    Location United States

Thank you Vinh, yes this information is very helpful. I will take all the help i can get. Considering that Vietnam is much more foreign friendly and you can get around "some" of the obstacles that you are required as a foreigner, i think it's safe to say I will be coming there next year. Again thank you Vinh.

#4 Posted: 1/7/2014 - 21:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.