Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Choosisng a Ha long Tour Operator

• thailen

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2014

First, when they quote prices, an overnight cabin fee for a double cabin is the entire price for 2 people, correct? Is there a difference in price between booking a cruise on-line and waiting until we check in our hotel and asking them or just walking down streets and finding one that way? Would we be able to pay with a credit card?
    Many posters talk about kayaking. I can handle a canoe but have never sat in a kayak. Will they let us ride in kayaks as newbies? How long does it take to control them?

#1 Posted: 12/7/2014 - 02:55

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

The quoted price is for 2 persons per cabin - normally, children pay a nominal extra fee. I believe the online price has advantages - sale prices are posted there (sort of like airline pricing). Yes, you can pay by credit card or direct with services like Paypal.

There are usually instructors available for first-time kayakers, but you should ask your agent these questions. I believe there is a difference in choosing a good agent, and I can personally recommend the following: http://halong-cruise.com/deluxe-cruises.aspx

My hint is to look for a cruise that offers buffet dining, and not to opt for a really cheap cruise. All cruises include transportation from Hanoi , and some even have luxury van service (travel time from Hanoi averages 4 hours one way).

#2 Posted: 12/7/2014 - 11:36

• larsay

Joined Travelfish
    20th July, 2014

Posted from within Vietnam.

First, you do not have to book a cruise in advance from overseas, you can do it in Hanoi EXCEPT if you decide for the best, a private junk, which you have to book in advance. The best less expensive I know is Oriental Sun, owned and run by the excellent agency Oriental Bridge Travel (www.orientalbridge.com) ; they are very reliable Halong cruise agents, so they also offer excellent collective junks from deluxe to Budget Standard. The private junks from Indochina junks are excellent also but more deluxe so more expensive.

Better go to a GOOD agency ; hotel receptionnists do not always know what tey are talking about. (or put you on a junk of an operator who gives them a kickback) ; Most agencies have a pile of operators brochures, you just have to go through them. DO NOT take a cheap cruise, Halong is unique in the world and deserves some extra money, even if you have to save money somewhere else.

Prices are not always per cabin, some operators publish prices per person, so check out !

#3 Posted: 20/7/2014 - 03:02

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

Sometimes prices are quoted per cabin (for example, on Agoda) but usually it's per person based on sharing a twin or double room. Most operators charge a single supplement but on the cheaper backpacker orientated cruises you might be able to share with a stranger and save the supplement.

I suggest you go to some agents in Hanoi and get details of the boats and prices, then check them out online before making a booking. Note that with 400 operators in the Bay you are likely to get different options from each tour office you visit.

I find kayaking easier than canoeing, but yes, they do let novices on and will show you what do it if need-be but if you've been in a canoe before it's the same principle.

#4 Posted: 21/7/2014 - 00:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vietnam Tour Operator Reviews ... By roslyn on 13 Sep 2013 0 876 13 Sep 2013
Tour Operator- Thailand Travel Plan ... By cheeco on 29 Apr 2009 0 2387 29 Apr 2009
7-Days Itinerary,Which Junk & Tour Operator??? ... By rodlove on 16 Dec 2009 5 3202 19 Dec 2009
tour operator warns people from visiting NK. ... By sayadian on 29 Mar 2013 16 2719 10 Sep 2013