Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Transportation from Hue to Da Lat

• VanVan

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2007

After reading "Getting There and Away" for Da Lat section from Travelfish, I guest we cannot fly to Da Lat from Hue. What is the best transportation we should take?

We'd like to take airplane and avoid taking bus as much as possible according to the advice fr Travelfish. We plan to skip Nha Trang because we prefer mountains, not beaches. But seems to be we have no choice. Seems to be we must fly from Hue to Nha Trang. Then from Nha Trang we should take some kind of transporation to Da Lat. In that case, what transportation is it? Bus? Train? Taxi? Or else?

Many thanks for your advice.

#1 Posted: 28/9/2007 - 00:46

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Van,

We've got a domestic airfare route map for Vietnam here. As you'll see on the map, both Hue and Da Lat are connected by air to only Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City.

But what you can do is fly from Nha Trang to Da Nang, or, if you want to avoid the south coast, head north from Da Lat to Buon Ma Thuot (still in the Central Highlands) and fly to Da Nang from there.

From Da Nang, you'll need to overland to Hue (taxi, bus, train). By the way, the train trip between Da Nang and Hue is one of the most beautiful in the country.

Hope that helps!

#2 Posted: 28/9/2007 - 07:16

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

As Somtam pointed out, VietNam rarely does short hops.

All trips to Da Lat run through Nha Trang and since the Hue > Nha Trang journey is 12 hours you are recommended to check out SLEEPER RAIL OPTIONS.

These come in 6-bunk hard, 6-bunk hard with air-con and 4-bunk softsleeper.

You can even get a shower if you know how and where!

There are sleeper buses, for USD$25, but the problem is you can't sleep as the drivers still go like maniacs - Camel crashed its sleeper 3 days after it 'hit' the road.

After arriving in Nha Trang, you will have to take a bus ride up the new highway to the town - which is about 5,000 feet high. I live over the other side of the mountains to the west.

The 'heading north' suggestion from Somtam is not really practical as the road from Da Lat to BMT (where I live) is circuitous, rough most of the way and requires a motorcycle or SUV.

#3 Posted: 28/9/2007 - 09:13

• VanVan

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2007

Thanks SomTam and the person lives in BMT (must be fun living around mountains).

Sorry I was not clear on the first message. My plan is to come to Ha Noi first and spend about 12 days there exploring Ha Long, Sapa, and Ha Noi surroundings.

Next,we'd like to spend four days for Hue and Hoi An. My question is: From Ha Noi, should we fly to Hue or Da Nang? And why Da Nang?

Our next stop is Da Lat but not Nha Trang.This is what I stuck big time because of transportation. We don't like beach but we don't hate beach either. It is just we don't have time.

Now I have a bit of better picture. Umm...decision.

Oh,BMT, where to take shower in the train? I have to take train to Sapa anyway.

#4 Posted: 29/9/2007 - 04:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.