Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Custom made ao dai and other Vietnamese women's clothing in HCMC (or Can Tho) for a man.

• man_in_ao_d-
    ai

Joined Travelfish
    21st July, 2014

Hi. I'll be in Southern Vietnam (HCMC, Can Tho, Mekong Delta) in a few months.
    I'm wondering if anyone here can recommend a tailor who can make ao dai for a reasonable price (decent quality, but not too expensive). Would it be real silk? How much for one of those pretty plain white ones ? What about colored ones?
    The thing is, I'm a man. But I do want to get a regular women's ao dai. Would this cause any issues?
    Also, can one get a yem made (traditional Vietnamese women's undergarment)? How much would that cost?
    Also, any other suggestions for traditional Vietnamese women's clothing I could get made? (not something like empress's clothing, just pretty clothes, preferably silk). What about modern, Vietnamese style clothing(not Western style; something sophisticated and Vietnamese inspired, preferably silk).
    This wouldn't cause a stir since I'm a guy, right?
    TIA

#1 Posted: 21/7/2014 - 21:42

• Advertisement

• larsay

Joined Travelfish
    20th July, 2014

Posted from within Vietnam.

Well, not much luck ! You can find ao dai in many places, from 40-50$ to 100$ and plus, ready-made or tailored just for you; You can also get blouses. If you ask for silk, you get it.

Let's put it that way ! Vietnamese are very traditional people (less in the South !), so, if you say it is for you, I am not sure of the reaction. The best would be that you say it is for your sister or your wife and she has the same size as you. Anyway, do it in Saigon ; in the countryside, they are much less open.

#2 Posted: 2/8/2014 - 03:41

• stevebell

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2014

Based on my personnel experience in past I will suggest you to contact designer forum boutiques, as they are specialized in making traditional dresses of various countries. I had contacted them for the traditional dresses of Switzerland and I think they should have knowledge about the Vietnam also.

#3 Posted: 29/9/2014 - 08:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Custom made bikes ... By MADMAC on 20 Sep 2009 0 1431 20 Sep 2009
Custom made shoes in Vietnam ... By Isobel_123 on 4 Dec 2008 13 19976 19 Nov 2014
Getting Clothes made for women in Bangkok ... By MineyMoo on 7 Sep 2009 0 2988 7 Sep 2009
Appropriate Clothing For Women in Southeast Asia ... By backpackgirl on 11 Jul 2008 26 32587 18 Nov 2014